GPS Reception + . . .

Reaction score
Dear Friends,

This is my first post here. My greetings to all of you.

And I would like to sincerely thank you for helping those in need.

I have an IPhone 3GS with 16 GB HD capacity. Here are my questions: (I already did my search but couldn't find any significant or satisfactory answer)

1 - Can I get GPS signal without having to connect internet or cell phone provider signal / coverage / data usage?

Some info on this: When I was in Asia this spring, I tried to run Compass app to get the Lat and Long at the bottom of the screen but no chance. Neither Compass nor GPS worked.

2 - Can I make the maps app work, again, w / o internet or cell phone provider signal / coverage / data usage?

3 - I have a professional (Separate) navigation software. If I hook the IPhone, can I see / use the GPS signals in that navigation software in the middle of the ocean, away from cell phone provider's signals, directly using the GPS signals from satellites?

I will be very grateful if you could enlighten me, please.

Capt. Serdal

OP
S
Reaction score
An Update

Dear Friends,

I have an update about Compass app and the Lat and Long display. I truned 3G and cellular data options off to double check on the GPS reception; and the compass continues working but Lat and Long reception feature does not.

Capt. Serdal

C

chas_m

I was about to say, the Compass app should work without any incoming data, though it might be slower than when it has access to GPS data.

As for GPS and maps, no -- they need cell or wi-fi signal (and thus data) to position you. The GPS data requires you be using either 3G or wi-fi -- doesn't matter which, but you gotta have it.

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
I was about to say, the Compass app should work without any incoming data, though it might be slower than when it has access to GPS data.

As for GPS and maps, no -- they need cell or wi-fi signal (and thus data) to position you. The GPS data requires you be using either 3G or wi-fi -- doesn't matter which, but you gotta have it.

Why is this? I thought there was an actual GPS receiver - and while not exactly the best performing receiver in the business - could still obtain a position fix without cell. I just experimented with my iPad 3G and was able to get a lat long position and GPS signal having first turned off cell and wi-fi services. Not airplane mode which will inhibit the GPS receiver.

You definitely need data service for maps and other information.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM
iPad 3G is not a good comparison for the iPhone 3GS. There are a few years between the two and the innards are completely different.

From the Tech Specs for 3GS
Cellular and wireless

• UMTS/HSDPA (850, 1900, 2100 MHz)
  • GSM/EDGE (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz)
  • 802.11b/g Wi-Fi
  • Bluetooth 2.1 + EDR wireless technology

• Assisted GPS
  • Digital compass
  • Wi-Fi
  • Cellular

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
iPad 3G is not a good comparison for the iPhone 3GS. There are a few years between the two and the innards are completely different.

From the Tech Specs for 3GS
Cellular and wireless

• UMTS/HSDPA (850, 1900, 2100 MHz)
  • GSM/EDGE (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz)
  • 802.11b/g Wi-Fi
  • Bluetooth 2.1 + EDR wireless technology

• Assisted GPS
  • Digital compass
  • Wi-Fi
  • Cellular

Ah - so the iPhone 3GS doesn't have a true GPS chipset then. That would explain it.

Reaction score
OK, so you need mobile coverage and/or wi-fi to enable the GPS function on an iPad 2. Is there any app that woul allow/enable the use of an external GPS?

You could make use of the USB camera connector to connect (for example a Garmin device) a GPS to the iPad.

Comments will be appreciated.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.