Moving from SL to Lion

Reaction score
Just wondering if a few of the kinks are worked out with lion? I'm at the point where i would really like to upgrade but i dont want to mess up my mac.
I have a mid 2009 MBP with 4 gb ram. If anyone has input or simular machine that is running Lion please post. I am going to buy it either way i just dont know if i am going to install it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
You are running a better processor than I and so far my 2.53 has run great but I don't use PPC legacy anything and check to make sure your peripherals are Lion ready
mine were so no issues.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mbp 15 2009, mbp 13 2010
go ahead full stream, make sure you have back your SL. Should be easy.
also run your software updates pre lion install and post lion.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
What "kinks"? We all have very different experiences with various issues. Is there anything in particular that you're concerned about?

If you want to wait, it seems that iCloud support will be coming with 10.7.2 and since iCloud is coming out this week, you could hold off for a few days.

OP
RustProofCorn
Reaction score
What "kinks"? We all have very different experiences with various issues. Is there anything in particular that you're concerned about?

If you want to wait, it seems that iCloud support will be coming with 10.7.2 and since iCloud is coming out this week, you could hold off for a few days.

"kinks": I didnt really have anything specific. I have been a Mac user for 20 months now and have never changed OS's. My experiance with MS was to wait for the first few update before upgrading. I guess i could just try it then
switch back if i dont like it.

OP
RustProofCorn
Reaction score
I have purchased Lion and i am guessing it will be 3 or 4 days before it is fully downloaded (i have a really slow connection). i am buying a HDD today for back up (which i have never done) and also buying a usb dongle to put Lion on. Pretty excited to try my hand at my first install of a OSX im sure in the days to come there will be alot of me crying i cant get somthing to work (my own inexperiance) but should be fun non the less

On a side note i read some of the Lion reviews and it says people are not being able to get office working but one i read said they were using office 06 and i have 0ffice 08 anyone have 08 with no issues? I think the main reason i have decided to take the plunge is when Van asked about iCloud i didnt know you needed lion so now im sold i have been mobile me now for 20 months as well and want the extra features of iCloud.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Office 2008 should be fine if you do the upgrade. If you try to do a fresh install of 2008 in Lion, you'll find that it won't work since the installer requires Rosetta which has been removed from OS X as of Lion.

OP
RustProofCorn
Reaction score
bummer. i wasnt going to do a upgrade i was going to do a fresh install.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 21.5" Mid 2009 4GB 500GB 7200RPM, Macbook Pro 15" Mid 2010 8GB 750GB 7200RPM, iPhone 4
I have purchased Lion and i am guessing it will be 3 or 4 days before it is fully downloaded (i have a really slow connection). i am buying a HDD today for back up (which i have never done) and also buying a usb dongle to put Lion on. Pretty excited to try my hand at my first install of a OSX im sure in the days to come there will be alot of me crying i cant get somthing to work (my own inexperiance) but should be fun non the less

On a side note i read some of the Lion reviews and it says people are not being able to get office working but one i read said they were using office 06 and i have 0ffice 08 anyone have 08 with no issues? I think the main reason i have decided to take the plunge is when Van asked about iCloud i didnt know you needed lion so now im sold i have been mobile me now for 20 months as well and want the extra features of iCloud.

I have a Mid 2010 MBP, originally with snow leopard. I read a lot of negative reviews with lion (as you did) but I decided to go ahead and try it for myself. So far, after a month of having it I haven't had ANY issues. I also have Word 2011 with no issues.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
office 08 doesn't work but office 11 does?

They both work fine on Lion. I have Office 2008 on a MacBook running Lion and Office 2011 on an iMac running Lion. No problems with either.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.