Why does my Mac keep freezing? (New to Mac)

Reaction score
Hi guys, had my Macbook Pro (Mac OS X Version 10.7.1, 2.3 GHz Intel Core i5, 4GB) for about 2 weeks and am using Safari (Version 5.1). For a Mac which is meant to be a powerful computer, I'm surprised and angry that it keeps freezing when I'm on Safari? My Windows computer does not even do this. I have about 2-3 tabs open (Just the usual Facebook, email etc.) and iTunes playing in the background yet when I try browsing on Safari the webpage will just freeze and sometimes not even resume itself?

Why is this? Can a Mac not handle having 2 tabs open and iTunes playing? Do I have something I don't know about running in the back ground?

Thanks in advance.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
There may be some background activity going on. The slowdown and freeze you describe is not normal. Open your activity monitor (Applications, Utilities, Activity Monitor.app) and watch for unusual activity that appears to be using a large percentage of the CPU and memory.

OP
O
Reaction score
There may be some background activity going on. The slowdown and freeze you describe is not normal. Open your activity monitor (Applications, Utilities, Activity Monitor.app) and watch for unusual activity that appears to be using a large percentage of the CPU and memory.

Thanks for your response.

Activity monitor tells me User = 2% System = 2% Idle = 4%
Threads = 400 Processes 76

Any ideas?

EDIT: As I type this, Safari/the Mac just froze again. I have this thread open in one tab, Facebook open in the other, and I was on youtube ABOUT to type in a song in the search bar when it froze. iTunes is the only other thing open, not even playing?

EDIT EDIT: Now YouTube videos won't even load/play, just a black box. And no it can't be anything to do with flash because it worked like 2 mins ago?

Reaction score
I have a MacBook pro as well, and I'm having similar issues but a quick question Fr you.

Two days ago I took that new thunderbolt update that was available in the software updates and after rebooting im having a similar problem as you.

Do you remember installing an update related to thunderbolt? I'm thinking that might be the issue but I'm not sure how to reverse it

OP
O
Reaction score
I have a MacBook pro as well, and I'm having similar issues but a quick question Fr you.

Two days ago I took that new thunderbolt update that was available in the software updates and after rebooting im having a similar problem as you.

Do you remember installing an update related to thunderbolt? I'm thinking that might be the issue but I'm not sure how to reverse it

Yeah I think I did to some update that it recommended, maybe thats whats messed it up.. :Angry:

Reaction score
Help

I am having the same issue with my Mac OS X. Can you explain how to open the activity monitor?

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
I am having the same issue with my Mac OS X. Can you explain how to open the activity monitor?

The simplest way is to hit cmd+space and type act - then hit enter. Or go to your applications folder and then into your utilities folder and find it there.

Reaction score
freezing safari

I've been having the same problem a lot lately and its annoying. Only updates I have made are any recommended by Apple. I don't even have iTunes running. Just a few tabs open at the same time. Thank you in advance, too, for helping me out with this

Hi guys, had my Macbook Pro (Mac OS X Version 10.7.1, 2.3 GHz Intel Core i5, 4GB) for about 2 weeks and am using Safari (Version 5.1). For a Mac which is meant to be a powerful computer, I'm surprised and angry that it keeps freezing when I'm on Safari? My Windows computer does not even do this. I have about 2-3 tabs open (Just the usual Facebook, email etc.) and iTunes playing in the background yet when I try browsing on Safari the webpage will just freeze and sometimes not even resume itself?

Why is this? Can a Mac not handle having 2 tabs open and iTunes playing? Do I have something I don't know about running in the back ground?

Thanks in advance.

C

chas_m

I don't have a Thunderbolt Mac and thus didn't get the update you're speaking of. Can everyone who has posted so far reporting this problem who didn't make it EXPLICIT that they have a Thunderbolt Mac please confirm that?

If we can narrow down a suspect, that will help Apple figure out the problem and thus, a fix!

Reaction score
I don't have a thunderbolt Mac. Mine is a MacBook Pro.

I don't have a Thunderbolt Mac and thus didn't get the update you're speaking of. Can everyone who has posted so far reporting this problem who didn't make it EXPLICIT that they have a Thunderbolt Mac please confirm that?

If we can narrow down a suspect, that will help Apple figure out the problem and thus, a fix!

Reaction score
I have a white 2010 macbook, and I haven't seen this problem, I am on Lion with no new updates.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.