I'm desperate, need help with apps not opening

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Okay, so right now I've been going at this for ~6 hours, I'm pretty bummed out, running on no sleep, and just in an all around bad mood, but I have to get this done.

I have a downloaded 3rd party app, which I KNOW works, as I tried it on my friends macbook pro (i3 or i5 cpu version). I have the intel core 2 duo macbook pro. So I KNOW the app works, yet when I open it, i see it bounce up and down in my dock and that's all that happens. It can keep bouncing for a long time, and as soon as I click it the app goes away on my dock.

I looked in console and said something like exit process 1 as soon as I launch the app. It doesn't even show up on my cpu processes.

It's an .app file, says application (intel) in the info.

So what have I done?
  • tried it in osx and lion
  • formatted hard drive and reinstalled my entire OS/apps
  • tried multiple different installation techniques
  • went to package contents/macos/opened file and did something like sudo chmos 775 or something to it, which should have added -executable, and it still doesn't work
  • did disk utility, tried to repair everything (said it did)
  • almost completely given up (haha)

I'm out of ideas. I don't know a lot about macs, normally a pc guy, but now I'm frustrated and cranky, and if anyone could help me it would literally make me bounce with joy.

I don't think I can express the sadness I'm feeling right now lawls.

I've googled it, I've searched it on multiple forums, I feel like I've literally tried everything. Please help.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
What App is this? What is the name?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Yes, it does matter what app it is. The source of the file also matters. You have not indicated where you obtained these .app files nor if you have tried re-downloading them again from the original source.

If you're attempting to copy an application from your friends machine that came with an installer - such as MS Office, any of the Adobe CS apps and a great many others that are packaged with installers - the ".app" portion of it cannot be simply copied from one machine to another - it is not going to work. You are missing files that are required in order for the app to open and run. You will need to purchase your own copy of these apps.

OP
I
Reaction score
Yes, it does matter what app it is. The source of the file also matters. You have not indicated where you obtained these .app files nor if you have tried re-downloading them again from the original source.

If you're attempting to copy an application from your friends machine that came with an installer - such as MS Office, any of the Adobe CS apps and a great many others that are packaged with installers - the ".app" portion of it cannot be simply copied from one machine to another - it is not going to work. You are missing files that are required in order for the app to open and run. You will need to purchase your own copy of these apps.

Yea I know it's nothing like that. I was just trying to usenet a game to see how it was before I buy it (games on app store are expensive) (its a multiplayer game so I would buy it if I liked it), and just won't work, and it's really pissing me off.

I have tried re downloading them multiple times and doesn't work.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
And the name of it would be? And downloading from where?

If you're not willing to provide the name of the app(s) you're having issues with and where you're getting them from, there's not much anyone can do for you.

Also what version of OS X are you using?

OP
I
Reaction score
Didn't know it was allowed here honestly, and didn't see anything of downloading in the rules. Downloaded it off newzbin, and used sabnzbd to download/extract it. Went from a game I actually wanted to try (borderlands) on my mac to see how it would run before I buy (was going to play co-op with my friend), but when that didn't work, I tried something simpler so I could narrow down what the problem is, and so downloaded angry birds to see if that worked..

It didn't, so I tried it on friends computer, and it worked. And since then I've just been trying to make angry birds work so I can find a solution, apply it to borderlands, see how it runs and whether I like it, then buy it.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sorry, but you were right, we're not going to assist in getting pirated content working.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Didn't know it was allowed here honestly, and didn't see anything of downloading in the rules. Downloaded it off newzbin, and used sabnzbd to download/extract it.
Take a look here at the copyright section.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Does it matter? Other .apps don't open either, yet I know that they work on my friends mac..

I was not even thinking Piracy when I asked the question. I was just going to try the apps here and try and help.

Those Apps are never going to run on your machine. Purchase them, and they will. Go try them on your friends machine where you say you saw them run and see if you like them.

Few good forums will help you with piracy!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.