issue with my mac charging etc

Reaction score
Okay, so I had an issue where my battery would not charge. When I plugged it in, only a very faint green light would come on (my battery was not fully charged), and my battery icon at the top would say "battery is not charging". Now, I KNOW I need a new battery; I have run well over the 1000 cycles my battery is rated for, but that being said, I still get over 2 hours of battery life on it with normal use.

I tried taking out my battery, and turning on the computer with only the power adapter plugged in. It would not turn on. When I put the battery back in, it started up fine; said it was using the power adapter for power. At this point, I was confused, but just blamed it on the battery.

I cleaned the connections on my power adapter/corresponding spot on the computer, and now it will show an amber light on the LED like it is charging, but the icon at the top still shows a plug, and says "battery is not charging". When I go to the system profiler, it tells me that battery is not charging as well, but my amber light is still on. When I unplug the power adapter, the icon on the top still shows it is plugged in, and the "charge remaining" area in the system profiler does not change either. This was not a problem when I first started having issues about a week ago, but it is now.

What could POSSIBLY be going on? I no longer have applecare and I don't want to bring it in there and find out it's something that is going to cost me more than I can afford, and then be stuck paying their ridiculous diagnostic fee. I am running Leopard 10.5.8, and if this is helpful, this is what the "power" section says under my system profiler.

Battery Information:

Model Information:
Serial Number: DP-ASMB016-3823-50b5
Manufacturer: DP
Device name: ASMB016
Pack Lot Code: 0002
PCB Lot Code: 0000
Firmware Version: 0110
Hardware Revision: 0500
Cell Revision: 0102
Charge Information:
Charge remaining (mAh): 3482
Fully charged: No
Charging: No
Full charge capacity (mAh): 3996
Health Information:
Cycle count: 1738
Condition: Good
Battery Installed: Yes
Amperage (mA): -818
Voltage (mV): 12054

System Power Settings:

AC Power:
System Sleep Timer (Minutes): 0
Disk Sleep Timer (Minutes): 0
Display Sleep Timer (Minutes): 32
Automatic Restart On Power Loss: No
Wake On AC Change: No
Wake On Clamshell Open: Yes
Wake On LAN: Yes
Display Sleep Uses Dim: Yes
Battery Power:
System Sleep Timer (Minutes): 45
Disk Sleep Timer (Minutes): 10
Display Sleep Timer (Minutes): 17
Wake On AC Change: No
Wake On Clamshell Open: Yes
Display Sleep Uses Dim: Yes
Reduce Brightness: No

Hardware Configuration:

UPS Installed: No

AC Charger Information:

Connected: No
Charging: No

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Why not buy a new battery since you need one anyway? You've gotten a good life out if it if it has 1000 cycles on it. If the new battery gives you the same symptoms, you may need a new MagSafe Charger adapter.

OP
S
Reaction score
Well, I don't want to spend $129 on a new battery if I am having ANOTHER issue as well- I am not made of money. So if it is something else that is going to cost me money, I'd rather fix that and deal with the battery issue for now and keep it plugged in. Like I said, it seems like some sort of software issue at this point.

Also, I should add that the power adapter- that half the with magsafe, was replaced less than 1.5 years ago.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.