Loud rapping sound, wavery cursor and automaticly tpes 1 thing repeatedly

Reaction score
Help. I start out in a word document (Word for Mac) and all is fine until the cursor starts flashing/wavering in and out. Then the computer starts typing - on its own - a single character repeatedly, wherever the cursor happened to be I tried shutting down & restarting, but it happened again. Once when I rebooted, I couldn't even get the password in.

Stehc in big trouble with graduate courses! :eek:

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Are you using a bluetooth keyboard and mouse?

OP
S
Reaction score
Automatic typing

Hi,

Yes, I did. Also a bluetooth mouse. But disconnected them both and problem still happened. It even happened if I didn't type at all, but just had the computer on and logged in. BTW, the sound is like a machine gun.

Stephc

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Did you shut off the blue tooth devices when you disconnected them? Remove batteries, etc? I can't imagine anything else creating the symptoms you describe. I have seen BT keyboards and mice do strange things but once they're disabled all the weirdness goes away.

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
Maybe you have a stuck key? Do you get this in any other editable field - in a different application?

OP
S
Reaction score
Automatic typing

Yes, both are bluetooth. When I turned them off, it still happened, but then a friend took the laptop home with him to have a look and couldn't recreate the problem. So it seems clear that bluetooth is the issue, but I really don't want to go back to cords.

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
If the problem still is occuring with the bluetooth devices off - I'm inclined to think it's NOT the bluetooth. Please see my above post and check for a stuck key.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.