Can I upgrade my PowerPC G3 233 ?

J

justmehere

I just picked up my first G3 mac I've had a couple of older macs LC's and one Quadra. This one is not too slow but was just curious if I could give it some more zoom ? Can I upgrade the CPU or video card (still running onboard) or memory (256MB). Presently running OS 9.1 looking to maybe go with OSX 10.1/10.2.

Thanks

justmehere

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Check out www.lowendmac.com. Look up your probably Revision A iMac. There is a LOT of info there on what you can do. Ram in most of them can go to 512 Megs but they say some are picky and will not take the two 256Meg So-Dimms needed. That site should tell you all you can do or direct you to places that will tell.

Edit, OppS!! Somehow I misread your message! Sorry about that. I don't know where I saw iMac G3!! Lowendmac still will be a great place to find info on upgrades. I have that Machine and you can do a lot with it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powermac g4 400mhz, 10gb, 256mb ram, OS9
to make a cool sytem i would add the following:

512 ram
40gb ide hard drive
processor upgrade g3 500mgz
firewire/usb combo card
ATi 7000-mac version
OS X.2

i have a g3 just like this one and it screams! it really works well even for a 7 year old computer :)

OP
J

justmehere

thanks again for the helpful advice. Look like a nice little project ahead of me. Cheers.

OP
L

lil

justmehere said:
thanks again for the helpful advice. Look like a nice little project ahead of me. Cheers.

Got a pretty beefed up 8500 with G3 over the weekend just gone and it runs lovely!

If this is a beige G3 I recommend:

Sonnet Tempo IDE card + nice big IDE hard disk. (SCSI ones are much expensive and harder to find). Or ideally the Sonnet card that has IDE, firewire and USB 2 on it.

G3 upgrade card (the 333MHz one I have with 1MB L2 flies along)

Lots of memory

Graphics card (as someone also suggested)

And either OS 9 or OS X of some description (or both - dual boot!)

Vicky :flower:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.