Can I migrate Logic Pro to a new system?

Reaction score
Hi

Hopefully somebody here will be able to answer a few questions for me. (I hope)

My G4 Powerbook decided to die out of the blue today. It started giving me a bunch of Error Codes for things so I opened Disk Utility and got the message that S.M.A.R.T was failing and that a Fatal Disk Error had been reported to Disk Utility.

I want to buy a new Macbook Pro but I was wondering if there is a possibility that I might be able to migrate applications like Logic Pro over from the old one to the new one if I can choke a final bit of life out of it? I moved to South Africa and all of my installers are in storage in the UK.

Is it possible to do this? Sorry if I posted this in the wrong part of the forum.

Thanks

Ashley

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Moved to correct forum.

If you can't access the hard drive from the Powerbook G4, you will be unable to run the migration assistant in order to copy over your applications.

Also, any new MacBook Pro you buy will have Lion pre-installed. You can not run PPC applications in Lion. I don't know how old your Logic Pro is but if it contains PPC code, it won't run in Lion anyway. And since all your disks are in the UK, you may have to purchase those applications again in South Africa.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.