Please help a dumb PC user make the switch

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Imac 21.5 2011 Stock with Time Capsule. Ipad2 Colecovision
I am looking at going from a PC (very old PC) that's on it's last legs to a Mac.

I loved Apple since back in the day when I was a little kid getting up at 5am and sneaking into my cousins room to play the Apple 2E. I have a couple Apple products the Touch and the Nano and most recently the IPad 2 and love all of them.
Although I am selling the Touch and Nano on Ebay to get the Imac.

Sorry for the questions but I know very little about computers and even less about Macs.

Not sure which one to get the 21.5 or 27 inch? Either way I will get the entry level one.
Will the 27 inch draw a lot more wattage? I want to make sure it will not drive up my electric bill.
Right now I have a 22 inch monitor so sticking with the 21.5 is not a big deal for me but viewing these side by side the 27 looks amazing.

Here is what I will be doing

Web surfing 70 percent
Watching Dvds 10 percent
Gaming (mostly small flash games or EA sports games, no high end games) 10 percent
Editing videos/ music 10 percent - Mostly for youtube and personal videos and home studio stuff for the music.

Do I really need Virus protection? I do a ton of surfing and my PC gets hit with 2-3 viruses a year. I have MCaffee but can I use that with my mac?

If I boot the Imac with Windows "boot camp" will that open me up to more Viruses?

Even though I have the Mac keyboard for my Ipad can I use a regular keyboard with my Mac? If so what do you guys recommend. For some of these flash games and EA sport games it will be nice to have a full keyboard. It does not have to be wireless.

On some days I normally have my computer on between 6 to 16 hours is this a problem for the Imacs?

Applecare or Bestbuy protection? Even thought I've had very good experiences with BB I have heard horror stories about the procetion program and heard Applecare is the way to go.

I would also like to cover a full soft cover for my Imac, any recommendations there?

Thanks for helping out a Newbee that is trying to make the switch :)

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Either one would be fine. The 27" if you have the desk space for it is even nicer due to so much screen real estate, but the 21.5 is fine to.

As far as Current Draw from the wall, I doubt the 27" will be that much higher. Check their specs. It might say the wattage there from the wall.

Edit: I take that back. Just checked the Specs. Here you go.

Maximum continuous power: 205W (21.5-inch models); 310W (27-inch models)

OP
Ghost Rider
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks guys. I will probably stick with the 21.5 inch then. I wll check out those Refurbs as well :)

Reading the Virus faq now. I feel like a kid in a candy store getting my first Mac. Heard only good things from actual owners and hate from non owners :)

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
You've probably figured this out already from reading the virus faq thread but just in case others need to hear it:When you run Windows under Boot Camp your Mac is running Windows with all of the security threats that entails. Many users choose to run anti virus software on the Windows side especially if they run Windows frequently.

Can't speak to the iMacs specifically but I run a MacBook Pro daily in the same manner you describe with no issues after almost three years of almost daily use.

BTW Minor issue with the title of your thread: If you are this close to making the switch you are clearly not a dumb PC user. lol

OP
Ghost Rider
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
BTW Minor issue with the title of your thread: If you are this close to making the switch you are clearly not a dumb PC user. lol

Thanks but I should of used that as my handle here :)

Also thinking of getting the Time Capsule, What a great idea!!

So that is an Autoback up machine plus a wi-fi router? I am still reading up on this but you can add that to my list of Apple products I will be getting.

Down the road I may buy a Blueray burner for the Mac but by the time I do that another new format will be out :Lips-Are-Sealed:

Reaction score
Macs have a firewall...turn it on. If you do not run windows or transfer windows docs around ...no vp needed. Just dont install any iffy stuff from unknown places.

C

chas_m

I disagree with Mac SK. The firewall is off by default for a reason, and that reason is that 95% of Mac owners don't need it. If you are using a router of any kind, it has a (superior) hardware firewall so you're more than covered.

Blu-Ray burner for the Mac is kind of a non-starter. You can try it, you won't like it ...

OP
Ghost Rider
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok thanks again for the info and sorry for a couple more questions.

What is the best way to transfer my videos and photos and data from my PC to the Imac and does the Imac have Wi-fi built in or do I have to buy a receiver.

The Time Machine acts like a WiFi receiver for all Macs and Pcs correct?

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok thanks again for the info and sorry for a couple more questions.

What is the best way to transfer my videos and photos and data from my PC to the Imac and does the Imac have Wi-fi built in or do I have to buy a receiver.

The Time Machine acts like a WiFi receiver for all Macs and Pcs correct?

OS X Lion: About Windows Migration Assistant

All modern Macs have built in Wifi

OP
Ghost Rider
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks Razormac I am reading this now. You guys do a good job answering dumb PC user questions :)

Almost there just a few hundred more dollars away from my first Imac :)

But here is the problem at hand when I make the switch will I now be a Dumb Imac user since I know nothing ? :)

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks Razormac I am reading this now. You guys do a good job answering dumb PC user questions :)

Almost there just a few hundred more dollars away from my first Imac :)

But here is the problem at hand when I make the switch will I now be a Dumb Imac user since I know nothing ? :)

You will have proven your brilliance by making the move so your new name could be "OneSmartMacGuy"
:)

OP
Ghost Rider
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Do you think Bestbuy will have any deals on the Imacs for Blackfriday/Cybermonday?
I know Apple is not one for discounts but I think I remember last year BB giving away giftcards with Apple Purchases. I remember a few years back getting one with my Ipodtouch.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2015 27" iMac, 3.3ghz, M395 gpu, 2tb Fusion, 8gb
I was in BB in the last week and they had their Macs discounted by a little bit, maybe $50-100, depending on model. You won't find much more than that as a discount for new machines, but maybe a refurb from the online Apple store.

OP
Ghost Rider
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I've checked the refurb store and you save very little on refurb models. I do liek the idea of the macs holding their value :)

If I can score just a gift card I will hold out till Black Friday :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13in rMBP 2014 Yosemite
I agree with zacster, i tried to get my sis to buy a Macbook Air over a Staple edition laptop of the week. I saw that BB sometimes had returned models in their store locked up and marked down a hair, but nothing heart stopping. If you get one from Apple, and this has happened, it is not up to your standards (physically, functional.. scuffs, dings, sharpie on it.. or sticky keys...) Apple will replace it. Its the risk you take but every things you get from Apple is covered with Applecare for a year, thats also why i recommend not buying BBs coverage.

Reaction score
Check out MacMall they have 2010 closeouts, claiming new in the box Imac 27" I7 4gb, 1TB, 1G video for $1499 or 27" I3 4gb, 1TB, 512MB video for $1349, unless you have to have the newest 2011 model the closeout 2010 is a great price. Call in and order over the phone and get $15 off the purchase. Decline the Apple Care warranty until the sales person reduces the price till you feel what is fair.

I have not affiliation with the company, but seems to be a really good price for last years model.

OP
Ghost Rider
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OK here is a good question.

If I have a virus on my PC and transfer the files to my mac will the virus carry over?

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
It depends upon what you mean by transfer. When an infected file is brought from the PC to a Mac it does not affect the Mac directly. The problem is that if you then pass that file to another Windows user or open it under Windows on your Mac it can then affect those installation.

Other types of malware can affect the Mac but generally rely on tricking the user into entering an administrator password.

OP
Ghost Rider
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok Guys I just bought my Imac!!! woo-hoo with the Time Capsule!

I got the 21.5 entry level which will suit my needs just fine. Now give me 2 years to figure how to set up the time capsule and I-Mac together :(
I will search the site for a tutorial on hooking up both machines. I hope the date is secure so no hackers can find info or steal stuff from me.

I hope my old school Seagate ST30000CB external drive will be compatible with it. I have a lot of files and video on this and hope to transfer it over.

OK even though I am a Mac guy please feel free to refer to me as a dumb PC user from time to time so I don't forget my roots!
Thanks to the Mods and Admins for approving my membership and thanks to everyone who chimed in.

I was one who debated heavily on getting a Imac or Mini me Mac and choose the Imac
Once you add a monitor and drive and choose the upgraded Mini you are nearly paying the same thing plus you get a 4 core Mac instead of a dual core :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.