New MBP/MS Office alternatives.

Reaction score
I am making the switch from a PC to a MBP. I have always used MS Office or MS works for word/excel type documents. Forgive me if this has already been covered. I like the idea of a free program such as LibreOffice or others that I've read about. I'd like the capability to transfer my old MS documents to my mac, but I'm not sure if it's worth downloading an entire office "suite". Any suggestions?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Unfortunately, the free Office suites require downloading the entire program along with the included applications. OpenOffice, LibreOffice, and NeoOffice all are that way.

However, if you only need something like Word or Powerpoint, take a look at the iWork applications that are sold in the Mac App store. Pages, Keynote, and Numbers are sold separately for $19.99 each and have been updated for Lion.

Reaction score
I've tried open office and iWork in the past many times but keep coming back to ms office. I think ms office is the one good thing to come out of Microsoft, the others just don't compare in my opinion. I think ms know that due to the price tag, so I always go for the home and student edition, not too bad then.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.