trading up

Reaction score
i have a old power mac g4 digital audio with a bus speed of 133 MHz and a processor speed of 533 MHz. its been good to me for all these years without any problems but i see now that i can buy a powermac g5, dual processor and much faster Bus speed for under $200.00. i could upgrade my processor but not the Bus speed. my wife plays a lot of games online. me, well search engine and itunes. anyway would it be worth it to upgrade for the price. id really like the macpro, but prices are still around $800.00 and up for them. where exactly would i notice the difference between the g4 and g5 ?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
You will notice a great speed increase with a G5 over a G4, but buy a G5 system rather than a processor upgrade. A g5 mac will have a faster bus and for any gaming - more importantly a beter graphics processor

OP
H
Reaction score
thats my thinking. a processor upgrade would end up costing almost as much as buying a used g5 and the g5 will have a faster Bus speed.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2xiMac24 w Parallels 6 (1x White, 1x Aluminum), iPhone 3GS with iOS5
Hopefully you have done some diligence on the PPC G5 - they had issues with faulty Mobos (capacitor problems). I for sure would only move up to an Intel for sure and not limit the OS you can install.

OP
H
Reaction score
yeah well its not my priority. anything can fail. look at all the ps3,s. now not all of them failed but a lot. my first computer was a g3, froze all the time, second a g4 digital audio, never have had any problems. but the processor and bus speed is slow. g5 for under $200.00 to my door with dual processors and two 80 gb hard drives, well seems like taking thew chance is worth it. ill always have my g4 for backup. if it fails then i might get a macpro, but ive also heard horror stories about them. anyway $200.00 is worth the gamble. i could spent that on my g4 processor upgrade and still not of been happy. time will tell.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.