Will it void my Apple Care warranty if I upgrade my hard drive inside my MacBook Pro?

Reaction score
Purchasing Apple Care to get extended warranty on my MacBook Pro seems like a very good idea and was strongly recommended by my Apple dealer.

However, if I put in a different hard drive inside my Macbook Pro...will it void my warranty with Apple Care?

Do I need to keep the original hard drive which came with the computer?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Assuming it's one of the Unibody models (anything after late-2008), Apple considers the hard drive to be "user serviceable", meaning that it will not invalidate the warranty to upgrade it.

Do note that your warranty coverage won't apply to the aftermarket hard drive. But that's OK, because typically hard drive manufacturers will apply their own warranty (usually 3+ years for better manufacturers) to the drive itself.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in MBP - 27in iMac - iPhone
I'm pretty sure you can also find how-to on apples site. Check it out.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Main-11" Air, iPhone 6+, iPad Mini 3, Hi-Fi Extras- Too many to count
It is simple and I talked to apple before i put a new one in mine I asked and they said it wont void the warranty.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 21.5" Mid 2009 4GB 500GB 7200RPM, Macbook Pro 15" Mid 2010 8GB 750GB 7200RPM, iPhone 4
Purchasing Apple Care to get extended warranty on my MacBook Pro seems like a very good idea and was strongly recommended by my Apple dealer.

However, if I put in a different hard drive inside my Macbook Pro...will it void my warranty with Apple Care?

Do I need to keep the original hard drive which came with the computer?

I upgraded my hard drive in my MBP and a week later took it into apple for a hinge issue, they didn't mention anything to me and replaced my screen under warranty.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.