Tried out Lion @ the apple store today... I am not impressed whatsoever.

Reaction score
I really miss the older Mac OS. Well I have Leopard and its amazing, I miss the way Panther and Tiger and all those use to look, aqua IS amazing, the dock was amazing, it was all there and perfect nothing crashed EVER and i loved the brushed metal look, just everything about it was amazing and perfect. Now with Lion its just awful.. they took out the old aqua theme almost completely, and they added apps in??? What is this an iPad or iPhone??.. its a computer.. whats the deal with that and there is no Dashboard .. its just horrible, THEY ALSO made the old blue bubble shaped buttons SQUARE/Rectangular like linux and windows now.. what are they doing?:Sleeping:

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Dashboard is there. Did you press the middle button or the key for it? It's there.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I've moved your post to a more proper forum; please be sure to check the forum descriptions to find the best place to post.

By posting in the right forum you help people not only find your question faster, but it helps others looking for the same information in the future.

Thanks for understanding!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
Not sure what you mean by they took out a ton of stuff.
They did give us total 64bit architecture.
They did give us gestures with the new trackpads that speed things up for some of us.
It runs faster on newer machines or has been my experience.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in MBP - 27in iMac - iPhone
Some people like it, some people don't. If your use to Snow Leopard then it's a subtle change and you should be fine. But upgrading from Panther or Tiger i'm sure is a drastic change and will probably take some time for you to get use to it.

I personally enjoy Lion.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
After having used Lion now since its release, I can honestly say that I still don't like the UI vs that of SL. Sorry but, if you've ever used Spaces/Exposé (properly) in SL, Mission Control is a complete joke. I know I was supposed to do a video to compare the two, and I still plan on doing it, but have been very busy lately.

From a Magic Trackpad user's point of view, (this one's anyway) the added gestures in Lion are totally redundant since what was added (such as Launchpad) just wastes a gesture on what one was able to achieve by a different method. Ok, ok... different methodologies, that's what it's all about ... I know.

But what I don't understand is why they changed the behavior of expose. Why make it so that Exposé only shows you the current open windows of the app in the foreground? Previously, it separated each and every app window so that you could see what was where, and bring any one of them to the forefront. Furthermore, if Exposé was activated while in Spaces, you'd see EVERYTHING, and not just the apps which are open for the currently used virtual desktop.

The previous method made it so simple to move ANY app window to a different virtual desktop. The current method is less efficient in this respect. I dunno, maybe I'll try doing the video tonight since I'm off tomorrow. But it's beautiful outside and am about to go to brunch so... we shall see!

Doug

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
After having used Lion now since its release, I can honestly say that I still don't like the UI vs that of SL.

The latest issue of "Mac Life" (Nov) agrees with you. And going by the number of letters and emails they received from folks who dislike Lion, I would say Apple has some work to do in future updates to it.

I have no gripes with Lion, (have it installed on both of my Macs) but admittedly, I do like Snow Leopard better.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I am the complete oposite Doug and I VERY MUCH KNOW how to use Expose properly. In fact I probably have used Expose longer and more than most here. I have no issues with Mission Control at all and much prefer it.

I figured by now you would have gotten used to it also.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
I am the complete oposite Doug and I VERY MUCH KNOW how to use Expose properly. In fact I probably have used Expose longer and more than most here. I have no issues with Mission Control at all and much prefer it.

I figured by now you would have gotten used to it also.

It's got to be a matter of left/right side brain function or logic whichg
separates our preference to either methodology. Hopefully, when I get that video done, ill be able to properly demonstrate the significant differences.

Doug.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.