Office 2011 PowerPoint permissions problem

Reaction score
When I select Permissions in my Mac 2011 PowerPoint I get the message to "Manage Credentials". Then it asks me to enter my "fully qualified network user name and password", such as [email protected]. I've tried entering every email & password I have and it doesn't authenticate.

Then I get an error that says "Office for Mac cannot connect to the Rights Management Services server because you appear to be working offline or are having network issues." What does that mean? I downloaded and installed the software I purchased from Microsoft, so it isn't "online" anymore, correct?

I'm not sure what to do next...any ideas? I tried contacting Microsoft, but they told me it would be a $39 charge to research my question and get back to me via email. >.<

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
What exactly is it that you're trying to do with Powerpoint? Also, it appears that you're selecting the "Restrict Permissions" option? Why?

OP
N
Reaction score
Correct, I am trying to restrict permissions. I'm taking a college course to learn to use PowerPoint and part of the assignment this week is to create a digital signature, set to read-only, and password protect our project.

This issue is that my class is being taught with Office 10 for PC and I have Office 11 for Mac, so I'm not able to receive much help via my school on this issue.

Thanks!

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
There's a college course for PowerPoint??

Right underneath Restrict Permissions - is Passwords...

That's where you would set up a password for the document.

OP
N
Reaction score
Hi Brian,

I understand how to do the password protect, digital signature, etc. because I've used those features in Office 10 on my work PC. The issue I'm having is that I don't have access to use those features in PowerPoint 2011 on my Mac because of the following:

When I select Permissions in my Mac 2011 PowerPoint I get the message to "Manage Credentials". Then it asks me to enter my "fully qualified network user name and password", such as [email protected]. I've tried entering every email & password I have and it doesn't authenticate.

Then I get an error that says "Office for Mac cannot connect to the Rights Management Services server because you appear to be working offline or are having network issues."

I need help resolving how to set up the credentials to get access to use the restrict permissions features in PowerPoint.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Restricting permissions to a file in PowerPoint 2011 requires the "Standard" version. What version of Office are you using?

Reaction score
having same problem

Working on a workbook that I "saved as" from a previous client as the info needed was the same. Now I can't print, or even save as under another name without the exact same issue of permissions as mentioned by previous user in this thread. I'm using Home and Business 2011. Is there anyway around this? If you can't really use the "manage Credentials" unless you have Standard then why is it locking up? BTW I did not set up this file to be protected - I'm the only one using the information.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.