Is cpu temperature 80 normal

Reaction score
My CPU (on MacBook Pro, purchased July 2009) temperature can run as high as 80 deg (see attachment). I think it is too hot, is it? My MacBook Pro is still under mac care warranty. Is Mac able to fix this problem?

Screen shot 2011-10-07 at 2011-10-07-9.30.37 PM.png

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
Can run? Doing what?

OP
Y
Reaction score
Can run? Doing what?

It is running. I'm using it now. The cpu usage is only about 30% on each of the 2 cores. Because CPU is hot, the battery uses up faster and the high temperature makes the battery deteriorate faster.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Yes, that temperature is normal depending on what you're doing. As load increases on the CPU, the temperature will naturally go up.

Perhaps the better question is whether you have a program running the background that is eating up CPU cycles. Open Activity Monitor, sort the process list by CPU% and check to see if there's one or more background tasks that is consistently using the CPU. Quit the offending program, or if it's something that auto-starts in the background, uninstall or disable it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.