MacBook keyboard stopped working

Reaction score
I need to start off by saying that I'm not a Mac person, so forgive me for not knowing some of the basic terminology. Also, please refrain from responding with the "Duuuuhhh.... WHY DIDN'T YOU TRY __________ " comments. ;D

I'm looking at a friend's Macbook. It's a white 2.1 GHz Core 2 Duo running 10.5.8 and its Model Identifier is MacBook4,1.

Her internal keyboard has stopped working, but a USB keyboard works fine. The integrated touchpad works just fine, too. She swears up and down that she didnt drop it and didnt spill anything on it, which looks to be true.

I've booted to an OSX install disc (attempting to bypass the OS and see if it was a software issue) and it doesn't work there, either. I didn't go through with the reinstall, because it didn't seem necessary. Being a PC guy, at this point I'd normally say definitively that the keyboard needs to be replaced.

After some googling, I was shocked to find out that I was able to reset its PRAM using the Command-Option-P-R keys. While that process seems to actually work, it doesn't fix the problem. ***!? Why would the KB work there, but not in OSX or the install disc?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.