open SL time machine on Lion

Reaction score
HELP!

I have upgraded to lion, and it seems to have deleted some of my files. (I don't know how many, but enough)

I partitioned my external hard drive so I could have a time machine for SL, and a new one for Lion. I did a time machine backup right before install, but I don't know how to access it. My Lion TM only goes back to after I installed it (obviously).

I forgot to use superduper or carbon copy cloner, and I understand that I cannot boot from TM.

So how can I access the SL time machine and get my files back?

Also, why did this happen!?

Thanks anyone!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
What you can do is reinstall Lion. It should ask you if you have a Time Machine backup - that's when you can restore.

Or, boot to your Lion Recovery partition and select Time Machine. You do that by rebooting and holding down the Option key. Select the Recovery partition to boot from.

And... please read our guidelines concerning language and masked words. Since you're new, I went ahead and edited your post to remove the masked words.

OP
J
Reaction score
I'm sorry but I don't understand your advice.

What you can do is reinstall Lion. It should ask you if you have a Time Machine backup - that's when you can restore.

do you mean the SL backup?

Or, boot to your Lion Recovery partition and select Time Machine. You do that by rebooting and holding down the Option key. Select the Recovery partition to boot from.

so does this mean i CAN boot from the TM? In particular, can I boot from the SL TM and then (hopefully) find my files?

thanks again

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
so does this mean i CAN boot from the TM? In particular, can I boot from the SL TM and then (hopefully) find my files?

Time Machine backups by themselves are not bootable. But you can boot to the Lion Recovery partition by holding down the OPTION key on startup and then selecting the Recovery partition. Or reboot and hold down Command+R. Once you're in recovery, select Time Machine restore.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.