Low Disk Space issue on Windows with Parallels

Reaction score
Hello!

I was running a Windows XP using Parallels Desktop 4 on Leopard. I got this message in Windows saying that I have very low disk space and that I need to remove some files. I attempted this but it won't let me delete any files. So, I removed the Windows partition and reinstalled Windows, but the problem persists. It won't let me do anything in Windows and all it does is displaying the Low Disk Space message. I have the Windows partition at 32GB because I only use the Windows for one app mostly and don't need a lot allocated to Windows.

I need to be able to run Windows to do some of my work and am really at a loss as to what to do. I've googled everywhere and searched in here, but no luck. If anyone has any solutions to offer, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you!
littlefragola

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 21.5" Mid 2009 4GB 500GB 7200RPM, Macbook Pro 15" Mid 2010 8GB 750GB 7200RPM, iPhone 4
Frankly, I would give up parallels all together, and use bootcamp. It will save you a lot of time and hassle. I also wouldn't really do anything under 50GB. I have 750GB hard drive and used 250GB for windows even though I only use it for Word just so I don't ever have to worry about running out of space. Good luck!

OP
L
Reaction score
Issue resolved!

Thank you for your response, aestheticxxlove!

I was able to resolve this issue before I had a chance to read your reply tonight. I was still running Leopard on my laptop so I installed Snow Leopard and reinstalled Windows. It looks like this took care of my problem, although I haven't really used Windows since I fixed it, so I am not 100% sure. I'll find out tomorrow when I have to have Windows open simultaneously for 8-9 hours straight. Using Bootcamp is just not an option because I need to be able to go back and forth between Windows and Mac, unfortunately.

Reaction score
32 GB is more than enough for a standard XP install with Microsoft Office. Remember, those XP computers back in the day came with 20 GB hard drives and that was HUGE!!

We still have a good amount of PCs floating around at work with 30 GB hard drives in them.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
32 GB is more than enough for a standard XP install with Microsoft Office. Remember, those XP computers back in the day came with 20 GB hard drives and that was HUGE!!

We still have a good amount of PCs floating around at work with 30 GB hard drives in them.

It would appear thats more than enough but if its loaded down with other apps ,games and audio video and not enough space is left to properly defrag it could throw a warning up.

Reaction score
It would appear thats more than enough but if its loaded down with other apps ,games and audio video and not enough space is left to properly defrag it could throw a warning up.

True, but he says he only runs MS Word on the Windows VM. Unless he's just making that up (not sure why he would)...I see no reason to believe there are games and all kinds of other stuff on that 32GB partition.

Out of curiosity, OP, what is your actual free space on that partition?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.