maya, blender and powerbooks

A

andygravity

i may be getting a 17" powerbook, with at least agig (possibly two) of ram soon.. i've got a few questions

1) i'm interested in learning maya, as they have a free learning version out there... under supported systems, it states something to the effect that the flat panel displays on the powerbooks is a fixed resolution, and that without an external monitor, maya wont be displayed properly... is that for real?

2) does anybody know first hand how well maya perfoms on one of these? (with or without an external monitor)

3) same question only for blender3d... anyone know first hand how well the powerbook handles it?

i'm still debating over the whole powerbook vs powermac.. hard toss up between power and portability. if they'll run smooth enough, i don't see why not to go with the powerbook for now, for learning purposes, and go with a g5 somewhere down the line if i get more serious

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.