Large File format for Hardrive, mac - windows

Reaction score
Hey,

I need to use my hardrive to exchange file between my macbook and my office windows machine. I have large size file (>4Gb) on this hardrive. Which disk format can i use?
NTFS only works with windows,
HTS only works with mac,

and FAT32 has a limit of 4GB file.

Do you have any idea how i can read and write on this hardrive with both system?
Thanks
Simon

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
That's easy, but it's going to cost you a few bucks. You have two choices, read and write from the Mac or read and write from the PC:

Paragon NTFS $19.95

MacDrive 9 $49.99

I have Paragon NTFS and it works great.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Another vote for Paragon. Have been using it since 10.4. All my external drives that are not used as backup drives for my Macs are formatted as NTFS.

Paragon also now has HFS for Windows at the same price.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
There are a few options here to do what you want to do:

1. There is some add-on software that permits Windows to read HFS+ (Mac- formatted) disks. These include HFS for Windows - file system driver | PARAGON Software Group and Mediafour - MacDrive 9 Standard and Pro |.

2. Read the NTFS formatted drive on the Mac. Although the Mac can read these drives, writing to them requires enabling that feature with a Terminal command or using software such as NTFS-3G for Mac OS X or PARAGON Software Group - NTFS for Mac, communication channel between Mac OS X and Windows

I haven't tried these options so others will have to comment on their usefulness/reliability.

Edit: Not only did they chime inn but they beat me to the punch. Gottaa either say less or type faster.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Gottaa either say less or type faster.

;D Story of my life. You just gotta type faster Sly!

OP
L
Reaction score
Thanks Guys !!!!!
Well, so i guess i'll go for the Paragon driver which is the cheapest.

Reaction score
A cheap answer (where you can use it)

To put large files on a FAT32 drive I zip and segment files larger than 4GB into smaller segments (<4GB) then leave it to the hapless Windows user to reassemble it. Kludge but it works for me.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.