Error -51, Transferring 85 Gb file via Ethernet

Reaction score
Attempting to transfer the IPhoto Library file (86Gb) between a 2008 Macbook and 2011 macbook pro using File Sharing over an Ethernet Cable.

I've tried transferring the file several times and it always stops after 8.7 Gb with the -51 error message.

I've tried running applejack to clean up the disk on the source machine, but no luck with the file transfer.

Any ideas on what is going wrong? Other methods to try?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
An error 51 means there is corruption occurring in the file transfer. Ethernet isn't the best way to do file transfers to begin with especially with such a large file. The best way would be to use an external FW drive if you have one.

OP
D
Reaction score
Figured it out

Turns out that the iphoto library contained a few missing or corrupt files, so it was going through them and hitting the missing file. Wish it had provided a more specific error about the missing file.

I used Carbon Copy and it persisted through copying all files, reporting the missing ones at the end.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.