Sudden dramatic slowing down of window opening

Reaction score
I have a one year old macbook pro with 8gig ram and 720G hd. I installed Lion in August and it worked grand till last week when certain functions suddenly began to slow down. For instant if I am sorting files in open windows it can take maybe fifteen seconds for a particular folder to respond to the mouse click - i get the dreaded spinning ball. I thought it might be that I had 700G of material on the hd, but on dumping half of that, no change. I tried verification, no change; I re loaded Lion from Apple, still no change. It does not seem to be the machine, or processor, for i have the original 350G hard drive with Snow Leopared on it and when I boot the machine externally from that it works perfectly, and even faster. Is there a bug in Lion, or is there any simple solution to this, other than getting another machine? I use the computer for mostly text (word, pdfs) and some photo stills work. Also, iTunes - possibly after the last update - dropped all my playlists and I had to reload my music. Bad month ...

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Sounds like poor hard drive. Wouldn't be a Hybrid XT would it?

OP
K
Reaction score
the HD concerned is ST9750420AS , no more info at this time. I'l try swapping the original one back, thanks

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.