Backing up Boot Camp to Time Capsule

Reaction score
Hi-

I will be setting up bootcamp w/windows 7 on my iMac. I would like to have the Mac side as well as the windows side to back up on the time capsule, how would I set that up?

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
As far as I know its not possible now VM such as FUsion and Parallels yes.
I would want a separate drive for Windows formatted in NTFS so you could have an image as well as backup also take note you need Win 7 Pro or Ultimate to back up on a network
drive or use a third party app. I do find that strange that it was available in Vista Home and they decided to take it away in Windows 7 Home.

OP
B
Reaction score
Ok so on windows ultimate & professional has the ability to backup? Shucks I just ordered home premium, I'm going to have to make a change.

Thank you for the help!

OP
B
Reaction score
Would I have to use something like Winclone to create an image to backup? Sorry I'm pretty new with this stuff.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
There are third party wireless backup programs for Windows 7 I just can't recommend one since I have no experience with it but Pro and Ultimate have that feature built in.
I would use TC strictly for the Mac and OSX.
Then I would look for another external drive for Win7 if you want to keep it wireless a
good network drive will fill the need I like WD MyBook Live for that.
Make sure what ever you get will be Lion compatible. Advantages to a network drive everyone on your LAN can use it.

OP
B
Reaction score
thanks I'll look into that, but I have one final question:

The main point of wanting to backup from windows would be for our Quickbooks' file backups (which is on the windows partition), would this make a difference if I just want to back up these files & not the whole windows system? Could I use something like a windows file mover "synctoy"?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Have you considered running Windows from a VM within OS X? QuickBooks runs fine from a Windows VM. And unless you're into gaming there's really no reason to use Boot Camp.

Parallels, Fusion, and VirtualBox are all good choices. VirtualBox is even free from Oracle and works well. You still need a legal copy of Windows but your problem with backing up is made much easier with VM software since that and all the Windows information gets backed up automatically by Time Machine. No need for separate backups or having to reboot the machine each time.

OP
B
Reaction score
I did think about parallels, but I didn't realize time machine could back it up, I'm going to give it a try! Thank you all I think I solved my problem!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookPro 11,2 <--DAW!!!
Supposedly the free app, CarbonCopyCloner, can backup not just OSX but also a Bootcamp partition.

Can CCC back up my BootCamp (Windows) partition?
"CCC can back up the contents of the Boot Camp partition, but it cannot make a bootable clone of the partition. If your goal is to back up your user data on the Boot Camp partition, CCC will meet your needs. If you're looking to migrate your Boot Camp partition to a new hard drive, you might consider an alternative solution such as WinClone, or one of the commercial virtualization solutions that offer a migration strategy from Boot Camp."

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It's interesting that he now says CCC can backup a Boot Camp partition. I've been using CCC since Leopard and have posed that question before always getting a negative reply. Must have been a recent update along the way that allows this.

And by the way, CCC is not free.... It's "payment requested" which is quite different.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.