Mac Pro screen Anomalies

Reaction score
The other day my Mac Pro screen screwed up and got a bunch of anomalies all across it. I could see the mouse moving but the computer was unresponsive. I turned it off and back on but as soon as the gray screen came on I could see the anomalies again. My first thought was that my screen had something wrong so I tried a different screen and it did the same thing. After letting it sit overnight it finally booted without any anomalies but only lasted for a few minutes before the anomalies came back. I am not sure if this is a hardware or software problem. I think it might be the graphics card getting hot but I am not sure. When the problem started I had not installed any new hardware or software. I have attached some pictures I took with my phone of the screen. Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

photo 1.jpg

photo 2.jpg

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It does look like your graphics card is acting up. Do you have another that you can swap out to test with? Which graphics card do you have installed?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
That's a rather expensive card to have an extra one laying around. I just looked it up with some on line retailers and it sells for around $260. I don't know any other way to test it though without using substitution. You may be able to run the Apple Hardware Test and possibly find out if the card is acting up.

Reaction score
OSX Lion Screen Anomalies

Hey what computer and operating system do you use? I've had the same albeit to a lesser extend anomalies with my MacBook Pro 13" 2009 version after updating to OSX Lion from Snowleopard and restoring from a backup afterwards.

Nobody I see has had similar issues and if they did they just re-installed the system and it worked fine. I'm not willing to do that though and rather figure out whats wrong.

With my computer that only happened after waking up from sleep or hibernation though.

OP
T
Reaction score
It is a Mac Pro running Snowleopard. I have had the computer for 3 to 4 years now and this is the first problem I have had.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.