Please help choose Graphic Card

Reaction score
Hi, just got my self a powerpc mac g5, i would like the dual monitors on it and i have 2 vga monitors available.

On the mac it has 1 vga and i think the other port is dvi, i cant find any adapters to connect the 2 monitors so am guessing i need to buy a new graphic card.

ive had a look on ebay but there is hundreds of different kinds on there.

Any help on this is much appreciated

Billy

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
ive had a look on ebay but there is hundreds of different kinds on there.

No there aren't. There were probably about 7-8 different graphics cards available for 14 different Powermac G5 models. If you're truly seeing "hundreds of different kinds"...I can guarantee you 90% aren't the correct cards.

If your Powermac G5's video card has a DVI and a VGA port...just get a vga to dvi adapter for that 2nd port. Problem solved.:)

But (more than likely)...that 2nd port is NOT a vga port...but an ADC port. In which case you need an ADC to DVI adapter. Same result...problem solved.;)

- Nick

OP
N
Reaction score
No there aren't. There were probably about 7-8 different graphics cards available for 14 different Powermac G5 models. If you're truly seeing "hundreds of different kinds"...I can guarantee you 90% aren't the correct cards.

If your Powermac G5's video card has a DVI and a VGA port...just get a vga to dvi adapter for that 2nd port. Problem solved.:)

But (more than likely)...that 2nd port is NOT a vga port...but an ADC port. In which case you need an ADC to DVI adapter. Same result...problem solved.;)

- Nick

Yeah your right, its ADC port not Dvi, i will have a look for the adapter

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Make sure you get the specs of your G5 really accurate. The card in the above thread will only work in a late 2005 DUAL CORE MACHINE, 2GHz, 2.3GH and 2.5GHz. PCI-e cards will not work in other G5 models. So we may assist,post full details from Abiout this Mac.

OP
N
Reaction score
Thank you for your help, below is the info i found about my mac

Model Name: Power Mac G5
Model Identifier: PowerMac7,3
Processor Name: PowerPC G5 (3.0)
Processor Speed: 2 GHz
Number Of CPUs: 2
L2 Cache (per CPU): 512 KB
Memory: 2 GB
Bus Speed: 1 GHz

Chipset Model: GeForce FX 5200
Type: Display
Bus: AGP
Slot: SLOT-1
VRAM (Total): 64 MB
Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de)
Device ID: 0x0321
Revision ID: 0x00a2
ROM Revision: 2060
Displays:
TEO TL766:
Resolution: 1280 x 1024 @ 60 Hz
Depth: 32-Bit Color
Core Image: Hardware Accelerated
Main Display: Yes
Mirror: Off
Online: Yes
Quartz Extreme: Supported
Display Connector:

from the above can you tell me what card i need?

Billy

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.