Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacbookAir iPhone6
Hi

Why didn't Apple just call it the iPhone 5 to save all the hassle of negativity
an faux disappointment?

Regards

Reaction score
Yah, we were talking about the same thing today: The news are full of people who are underwhelmed with the 4S. We wondered if people would be happier if i was called 5 :)

Not sure what people expected, but I think better speed and camera are good features of the new phone. Together with iOS5 it's going to be quite wicked. I'm not disappointed.

Reaction score
It would be even more disappointing than the rather poor offering of the 4GS after over a year of development. It would demonstrate to Apple's competitors that they have run out of ideas and are accepting an inferior product, as the next generation phone. I've been holding onto my 3GS waiting for the iPhone 5, and this delayed announcement has got me seriously thinking about getting an android phone, which I thought I would never do.

I will certainly not waste my money on a 4GS, knowing that a 5 is around the corner (I hope).

OP
brendan67
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacbookAir iPhone6
I'm probably in the gullible camp, I have had 2g 3g 3gs and 4.

Can't even remember the gap time between 3gs to 4? - which you would think would indicate when it would go from 4s to 5.

With regards to Android, they all feel different to the feel of an iPhone?, though some of them are great displays etc.

Seems crazy introducing IOS 5 (with all it's wonders) and a 4s phone.

Reaction score
Apparently "iPhone 4s" stands for "iPhone for Steve". Even if it doesn't - I like to think it does as a way to honor Steve ;-)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
I guess I don't get it the video went from 720p to 1080p with mirroring.
The chip got a bump to the same one in the iPad2 (which is very fast).
The camera got a bump in megapixels along with an additional lens and chip.
They added new features and until a breakdown is confirmed more ram.
So with all these improvements people are disappointed because it does not have 4G
speeds and so far the ones that claim they do I have not seen leaps and bounds on a speediest little lone open a page a whole lot faster.
They also increased the battery runtime in the 4s.
As for size Apple has been about small,light and battery efficient so far they are ahead of the pack in that department.
So yeah with all that I think it was a nice upgrade and I am sure a few publications will run a real world comparison test and like last time the iPhone will fair pretty well against the competition if not surpass them in other areas.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
You're all missing something here. Inside the 4s is a pretty much a whole new phone inside, much like the 3Gs was. Apple releases new phone styles every other year, with an update to the current phone in the mid year of the cycle. Thos who desperately hoped for an "iPhone 5" were pretty much deluding themselves and the established pattern that Apple had set.

Apples stated some months ago that the next iteration of the iPhone would likely not have 4G so that was just plain silly to hope for. Once 4G is fully implemented (in the US, next year) the iPhone will get it. If you are all so underwhelmed or disappointed, go blow your hard earned money (or mommy and daddies hare earned) money on a new iPhone and be "happy".

Reaction score
Is the 4S going to be like when the Iphone 3 came out not long after that they came out with the iPhone 3GS? I would hate to spend the money on the 4S only to have the iPhone 5 come out three months later. I currently have the iPhone 4 and ready for one that doesnt drop calls and has flash. Will the 4S have flash??

Reaction score
Is the 4S going to be like when the Iphone 3 came out not long after that they came out with the iPhone 3GS? I would hate to spend the money on the 4S only to have the iPhone 5 come out three months later. I currently have the iPhone 4 and ready for one that doesnt drop calls and has flash. Will the 4S have flash??

i wouldnt guess iphone 5 will be out till next year but only apple knows i guess.i have no dropped calls and i live in the sticks.. no flash.

I personally think they did a heck of a job with the upgrades. I also wonder if people are missing the fact about the upgrade of ios with the release of the iphone 4s.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
You're all missing something here. Inside the 4s is a pretty much a whole new phone inside, much like the 3Gs was. Apple releases new phone styles every other year, with an update to the current phone in the mid year of the cycle. Thos who desperately hoped for an "iPhone 5" were pretty much deluding themselves and the established pattern that Apple had set.

Apples stated some months ago that the next iteration of the iPhone would likely not have 4G so that was just plain silly to hope for. Once 4G is fully implemented (in the US, next year) the iPhone will get it. If you are all so underwhelmed or disappointed, go blow your hard earned money (or mommy and daddies hare earned) money on a new iPhone and be "happy".

QFT

All of the features on the 4S related to hardware= new phone, essentially. SIRI... Only going to work on the 4S. 4g service? True 4g will likely happen with LTE. This will require a rework of the processor and battery management system and hopefully the LTE chips will be smaller by next year.

Doug

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Early 2011 13 inch MacBook Pro i5 with 8gb of Ram
Apparently "iPhone 4s" stands for "iPhone for Steve". Even if it doesn't - I like to think it does as a way to honor Steve ;-)

you deserve a rep

C

chas_m

Hi

Why didn't Apple just call it the iPhone 5 to save all the hassle of negativity
an faux disappointment?

Well, first of all, I don't know how often you guys get outside the bubble of hard-core nerd-dom, but the "disappointment" is pretty non-existant in the "real world" that don't read rumour sites nine times a day.

The carrier are STRUGGLING to handle pre-orders, and Apple is STRUGGLING to cope with demand. The pre-order sales are FAR higher than they were for the iPhone 4. Seems like the non-nerds are WAY ahead of the nerds on this one, and understand that this new model may LOOK the same but is a BIG improvement.

As for the marketing name, the answer to your question is that if they'd called it the iPhone 5 and left it looking the same, the pundits and naysayers and other worthless scum would be HOWLING and SCREAMING their disgust ten times louder than they are now, that's why. Apple tends to up the number on their iPhone when they really have a serious new design or feature set to add. As impressive as the iPhone 4S is, it's not a new generation phone. That will happen when real 4G actually gets rolled out in force. Almost all of what's around right now is "fake" or "marketing" 4G, not real 4G.

Again -- it's not like this hasn't been done before, very successfully I might add. The 3GS was a HUGE hit -- so much so that it's still available over two years later -- very rare in the cell phone business.

I can't see any reason why Apple should have named the 4S the 5 when it is much more accurately named "4S" -- as in, the iPhone 4 plus new Stuff. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 21.5" Mid 2009 4GB 500GB 7200RPM, Macbook Pro 15" Mid 2010 8GB 750GB 7200RPM, iPhone 4
Well, first of all, I don't know how often you guys get outside the bubble of hard-core nerd-dom, but the "disappointment" is pretty non-existant in the "real world" that don't read rumour sites nine times a day.

The carrier are STRUGGLING to handle pre-orders, and Apple is STRUGGLING to cope with demand. The pre-order sales are FAR higher than they were for the iPhone 4. Seems like the non-nerds are WAY ahead of the nerds on this one, and understand that this new model may LOOK the same but is a BIG improvement.

As for the marketing name, the answer to your question is that if they'd called it the iPhone 5 and left it looking the same, the pundits and naysayers and other worthless scum would be HOWLING and SCREAMING their disgust ten times louder than they are now, that's why. Apple tends to up the number on their iPhone when they really have a serious new design or feature set to add. As impressive as the iPhone 4S is, it's not a new generation phone. That will happen when real 4G actually gets rolled out in force. Almost all of what's around right now is "fake" or "marketing" 4G, not real 4G.

Again -- it's not like this hasn't been done before, very successfully I might add. The 3GS was a HUGE hit -- so much so that it's still available over two years later -- very rare in the cell phone business.

I can't see any reason why Apple should have named the 4S the 5 when it is much more accurately named "4S" -- as in, the iPhone 4 plus new Stuff. :)

+1 I totally agree!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs
I currently have the iPhone 4 and ready for one that doesnt drop calls and has flash. Will the 4S have flash??
The iPhone 4S is suppose to have an improved antenna so that will probably reduce the drop call problems of the 4. As for Flash don't count on Apple ever having Flash on their iPhones. They have made their reasons quite clear as why they don't want Flash.

I agree. Calling it the 5 would've been a huge mistake because the changes aren't dramatic enough to called it a 5. 4S is definitely the more accurate label. I have a feeling the same people complaining would've had the same complaints if it were called the 5.

Reaction score
I guess I don't get it the video went from 720p to 1080p with mirroring.
The chip got a bump to the same one in the iPad2 (which is very fast).
The camera got a bump in megapixels along with an additional lens and chip.
They added new features and until a breakdown is confirmed more ram.
So with all these improvements people are disappointed because it does not have 4G
speeds and so far the ones that claim they do I have not seen leaps and bounds on a speediest little lone open a page a whole lot faster.
They also increased the battery runtime in the 4s.
As for size Apple has been about small,light and battery efficient so far they are ahead of the pack in that department.
So yeah with all that I think it was a nice upgrade and I am sure a few publications will run a real world comparison test and like last time the iPhone will fair pretty well against the competition if not surpass them in other areas.

Everything you listed is old technology. For the first time apple is not on the cutting edge they are using old technology and what I mean by old is that is yesterdays ipad2 news. Same screen size same form factor newer camera and GPS girl voiced siri. And IOS5 is just catching up with the android and windows7 features. Oh and they cut the cord? Could have and should have been cut with the original iphone. Apples hardware is no longer cutting edge.

THat is why people are disappointed. Nothing in the iphone 4s is significantly better than the 4 and well behind the hardware of many android phones. At least give us a bigger screen.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.