Direct TV wireless internet

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I am on an iMAC G4 20" Flat panel and using AT&T u-verse internet, gateway modem and router all in one. I want to hook up my direct tv to the internet wirelessly. I was wondering if I could hook up an airport extreme base station to the back of my direct tv receiver via ethernet cable and get internet on my TV? I have an airport card installed and have a network connection. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Direct TV keeps giving me different answers from different people and of course wanting me to purchase their product which they say requires a tech. to come out and install after another person with Direct TV said I could install it myself. Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
-->
Are you looking to get one receiver online for on demand, or looking at the whole home dvr setup?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
-->
Just one.

You don't need an Airport Extreme to accomplish this. You can do it with a wireless/ethernet bridge device. The Airport Express ($69 on Apple refurb) would do the job. Set the device to connect to your U-Verse wireless RG and take ethernet cable to the DTV box. Netgear and Cisco also make good bridges.

Hope this helps...

OP
G
Reaction score
Thanks JohnCL. I already have the airport extreme base station and not using it. I am on a desktop. No laptops in the house. Just want to connect the internet to one HD DVR plus receiver. (Direct TV) to utilize the best viewing experience. Would it be better to connect via powerline? And how would I do that? Not sure if airport express is compatible with my system? Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
-->
You should be able to put your AEBS in the mode to extend wireless network. It will communicate back to your AT&T gateway via wireless, and then your ethernet ports can be hooked up to the ethernet port on the the DirecTV box.

An airport express will join the wireless network just as any other wireless device and give you the ability to convert wireless to ethernet. Anyway, the hardware that you have should work for what you need to accomplish.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
-->
Thinking more about this I am not sure if the extend a wireless network feature would work. I am not sure if the ethernet ports would be active. You may just have to do some experimenting with the setup.

Let me know how it goes.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.