Siri on iOS devices other than iPhone 4S?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac mini Server 4,1 (2.66GHz Core2Duo CPU, 16GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD), iPhone SE 2nd gen (128GB)
I noticed that in the 'Introducing iPhone 4S' email from Apple it says "Siri is available only on iPhone 4S"; is that literal, in that it will only be available on that one device, or does that only refer to it not being available on any preceding model of iPhone?

As many people use iPod touches & iPads as PDAs, it would make sense to be able to talk to them like an electronic secretary; and they do all have A5 processors now the iPt is in its 5th iteration*...

*(Well, I'm assuming the iPod touch 5G has an A5 processor too)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
It needs a hefty processor like the A5 and a near always-on internet connection which are two good reasons it's iPhone 4s specific.

But I suspect the main reason is to have a unique selling point for the iPhone4s. iOS 5 offers loads of new features for the past two generations of iDevices so they have to keep something to drive new sales

OP
Ctrl-Opt-Del
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac mini Server 4,1 (2.66GHz Core2Duo CPU, 16GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD), iPhone SE 2nd gen (128GB)
Ah, I didn't know about the requirement for a continual net connection, and I see what you mean about it being a USP for the iP4S...

Still, maybe when they release the iPhone 5 - which will obviously have Siri too, making it less unique - it might be available on the 3G (possibly 4G by then?) version of the iPad 3, likely to be released at a similar time to the iP5...

C

chas_m

Bottom line: na ga ha pen. Maybe the iPad 2s will get it once it comes out of beta -- MAYBE. Wouldn't hold my breath.

Can some hacker make Siri sorta/kinda work on lesser hardware? Maybe. Will it suck? Yep -- which will make it obvious why Apple didn't make it available for the iPhone 4. They don't do these things out of spite, they do it for the best possible experience. Joe Not-A-Hacker-Nerd isn't interested in it if it doesn't work nearly perfectly every time.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
The original Siri Assistant worked fine on the iPhone 4. Heck it worked fine on the iPhone 3GS. It doesn't have the full voice integration across everything like the new Siri does - but as far as recognizing voice and converting to text - the iPhone 4 worked fine. I'm not arguing for or against keeping it on the iPhone 4s only - I'm just saying I was quite satisfied with my experience with Siri Assistant on the iPhone 4. I still use it from time to time. I have no idea what upgrades they did to the software - but since it is now used for full voice control of the entire system it probably needs more hardware than the iPhone 4.

It does tell me - every time I start up - that there is an upgrade for Siri on the iPhone 4S - thanks for rubbing it in - but I still have 1.5 years on the contract.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
The bottom line is that SIRI was once JUST an app. It is no longer JUST an app. There are hardware components needed, which only the 4s has which make SIRI what it is.

Doug

Reaction score
Now there's an app I'd be willing to pay a significant price for if it would work on my ip4.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
Well it looks like they shut down the service for the App - so it doesn't matter anyway.

C

chas_m

As I mentioned and predicted, some hacker got Siri "working" on an iPhone 4 -- slow as molasses.

It now appears that Siri is also dependent on a second Apple-branded hardware chip (not the A5) in the iPhone 4S -- some kind of dedicated processor that may or may not have anything to do with Siri, but if it does ... well that explains why we can't get it (yet) on the iPad 2 ...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.4GHz w/ WD My Book 500GB HDD. MacBook Pro 2.4GHz. iPhone 5, white, 16 Gigs.
Looks like the mood is getting uglier among Mac users that previously had the Siri app, and found out that Apple made the decision to remove that app from the store, and shut down the servers that were supporting the application. I know this was a business decision by apple to buy off the company, and to make Siri a selling point for the iPhone 4s, but a lot of users, (and many of them paid to purchase the app, and now can't use it), are seriously disgusted with the company right now. The general gist about buying the iphone4s as far as they are concerned is not only no... but HECK NO, since they are now being forced by Apple to look at alternate personal assistants for devices other than the iPhone 4s.

Personally, I have no plans to upgrade my mobile devices every flipping year or otherwise lose the apps that I have just because Apple thinks I should do so.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.