Macbook Randomly prompts me to shut down..and then does.

Reaction score
Like the title says. I start up the machine, most times it goes to the desktop, then if i don't touch it for about 20 sec it asks me to shut down, restart, or log off. If I don't touch it, it shuts off by itself before I even press anything.

I know the battery is no good, and ive tried multiple power cables.

Any ideas?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
Does it give a error message ?
It would also help if you list model,year and OS.
Also have you made any changes such as new ram or hard drive ?
It is also not a good idea to leave a known bad battery in any electronics.

OP
M
Reaction score
-No error message. It asks if you want to shut down/restart/log off and then before you can do anything...it shuts down
-2007 Macbook Tiger 10.4
-I just received the computer from someone so I am trying to troubleshoot issues. I can see the hard drive just fine on a docking station. it boots to the hard drive (when it doesnt shut down before it boots up) when its in the computer. It doesnt seem logical either for the ram to fail once everything is already booted.
-I know it is not good. I removed the battery and I am just running from the power cord. the computer boots but still shuts down randomly.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
I would take it to an Apple Store and go from there.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
You need to wait a little longer than 2 hours to "bump" a thread.

Apple has an article about the 13" MacBook and intermittent shutdowns with OS X Tiger. Take a look here.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Sounds like mobo troubles if what vansmith has linked to a firmware update does not do the trick.. Do you know if the machine has been dropped?

OP
M
Reaction score
You need to wait a little longer than 2 hours to "bump" a thread.

Apple has an article about the 13" MacBook and intermittent shutdowns with OS X Tiger. Take a look here.

Thanks. Didn't actually bump it. I pressed reply to post again and didnt mean to.

And thanks Harry. I didnt see a firmware update though. Thanks for the link as well. I'll look into it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.