How do I make video calls with my iMac?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air M1 2020 Ventura 13.4.1 500Gb 8Gb. iPhone12, Watch 5, HomePods.
Hello there,
I trust that I am in the correct forum here.
I have never really felt the need to explore this issue until a recent opportunity presented itself via an informal request that I become involved in an online discussion with video.

I realise that I have Photobooth and a built in iSight camera which is something that I've only ever used for pulling funny faces on, but how do I go about setting up a Mac friendly method whereby I can join in with (or prompt) a video call?

Would anyone know what the most popular and efficient methods are at all. I've been looking at iChat initially but it looks a bit restrictive to me?

Thanks in advance,
Liam

Reaction score
There is a bunch of options for video calls:

Facetime:
- Mac to Mac, Mac to iPhone, Mac to iPad (short: between Apple devices with a camera and Facetime installed)
- Facetime needs to be purchased and downloaded from the App Store

- Skype is a cross platform app to chat and talk
- Works with smartphones where supported, Mac, Linux and Windows systems
- Software is free at skype.com - just download, install and setup an account

iChat
- On Macs to video chat between iChat users
- App should be pre-installed on your machine

GTalk/Google Voice
- If you have a gmail account you can do that straight from the browser
- Once you use it the first time you may have to install a plugin, after that you can chat with other gmail users straight from the browser
- Log into your account via mail.google.com and find the contact list to the left
- Users who have a camera and accept video calls will have a small camera icon next to their name

Google+
- You can create "Hangouts" in Google+ and have video conferences with a lot of people
- People in circles that you added to the hangout will be able to join you

...I believe Facebook rolled out a similar feature - I don;t use FB though, so I don't know.

Hope that gives you something to start :) Happy conferencing!

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Moved thread - "Movies and Video" is more for production and creation related threads.

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi Dekan,
This is very comprehensive thank you.
I'm leaning towards Skype....I can't guarantee Mac to Mac, iChat would be good but I don't want to open new subscription accounts.

I'll have a closer look at Skype as it seems the more popular.

Thanks once again.

p.s Vansmith, thanks for moving the post..my mistake

Reaction score
No worries! I like the way skype works (even though it's owned by Microsoft now ;-) ) and your camera image is usually fantastic. The Mac built in cameras have superb quality.

Cheers!

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Just been having a look at Skype....free video conferencing and a nice interface. I think MS used to own or still do own a chunk of Apple so not a problem. If you have used Skype are there any security issues that you are aware of given that it's owned by MS?

Reaction score
Not that I know of. I have been using Skype for a number of years and I haven't had any issues...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
Just been having a look at Skype....free video conferencing and a nice interface. I think MS used to own or still do own a chunk of Apple so not a problem. If you have used Skype are there any security issues that you are aware of given that it's owned by MS?

I use Skype,iChat and FaceTime and the only issue I see if one of the parties bandwidth is limited you will experience choppy video or possible loss of video all together. I prefer the quality of iChat and FaceTime so far.

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I use Skype,iChat and FaceTime and the only issue I see if one of the parties bandwidth is limited you will experience choppy video or possible loss of video all together. I prefer the quality of iChat and FaceTime so far.

I see, it's possible that I could set up iChat with MobileMe ( I bought it with my iMac). I used it briefly but it didn't perform very well because my iPhone and iCal/Mail kept conflicting. I remember that I had a pig of a time turning it off and reverting back to my standard mail server. Does it follow that an iChat user can't converse with a Skype user via video?

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Not that I know of. I have been using Skype for a number of years and I haven't had any issues...

BTW thanks Dekan

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
I see, it's possible that I could set up iChat with MobileMe ( I bought it with my iMac). I used it briefly but it didn't perform very well because my iPhone and iCal/Mail kept conflicting. I remember that I had a pig of a time turning it off and reverting back to my standard mail server. Does it follow that an iChat user can't converse with a Skype user via video?

Yes and I believe it works with Yahoo's also so long as they are in your contacts I have only tried Skype to iChat.

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes and I believe it works with Yahoo's also so long as they are in your contacts I have only tried Skype to iChat.

Now then, there's a thing..
Thank you.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.