Am I eligible for the $199 iPhone 4s if I got the iPhone 4 first day?

Reaction score
I got the iPhone 4 first day, with a 2 year contract. I remember when getting it people like myself were able to get the iPhone 4 for the contract pricing before their 2 years were up.

Is it the same way this time with the 4s, will I be eligible to get it for the contract price, like $199, where I got the iPhone 4 the day it came out?

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
I got the iPhone 4 first day, with a 2 year contract. I remember when getting it people like myself were able to get the iPhone 4 for the contract pricing before their 2 years were up.

Is it the same way this time with the 4s, will I be eligible to get it for the contract price, like $199, where I got the iPhone 4 the day it came out?

That is something you are going to have to ask your carrier. Let us know what they tell you.

Reaction score
Most carriers have been sending out early upgrade offers. My contract wasn't a year old yet and I was sent an early upgrade offer from Verizon last week. Check with you carrier to see what they say.

On a side note I see there is a lot of backlash and disappointment regarding the announcement of the 4s because everybody was expecting an iphone 5. It seems to me that the 4s is offering all of the new capabilities that were being reported as being in the iphone 5 but the form factor stayed the same, I honestly can't see why people would be so upset with this as it actually means all of the old cases and accessories will be compatible with the 4s and it has increased functionality......Just my 2 cents.

Reaction score
They screwed up my pre-order, so I got my iPhone 4 the week after launch. Per the 4S pre-order page, this is the 1st year in which I can't get an immediate upgrade at the subsidized price. I have to wait until after 2 December 2011 to get the $199 price on the 16 Gb model, before then it's $449.

Not like I was going to stand in a line for the 4S anyway...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
Unless AT&T changed their rules at 18 months you were eligible.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.5GHz i5 MBP, 4GB RAM, 500GB HD, NVIDIA Geforce GT 330m/16GB iPhone 4 in a brick sized otterbox.
November 30 for me - there is a link on Apple's website that will check AT&T for you and give you a date.

Reaction score

AT&T is able to do the upgrade 1 month early, making it really 17 months. Also if your phone number is the primary number on a family plan, you're eligible every 12 months. That's how I'm able to get the newest iPhone every release.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in MBP - 27in iMac - iPhone
Yea a buddy of mine that works for AT&T told me 18months as well.

But if you've had your contract with AT&T for a long time and have been in good standing with them (pay your bill on time). They will usually allow you to upgrade your iPhone premature to the 18 months.

I also got my iPhone 4 on lunch day and I was eligible to upgrade to the iPhone 4s with the discounted price. Which makes it 14 months.

I believe my buddy told me they have a rating system for customers and this determines if you can upgrade your phone early. I know he said store reps use to have a huge leeway on upgrading customers early but he said that changed about 6months ago and it's impossible to by pass it.

Reaction score
I got my iPhone 4 with my wife in June 2010 with AT&T, now we got one upgrade for $199, and the other for $449. I don't know if I can get $199 for one phone.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air 11 inch 2012, MacBook Pro, iPhone 4S(soon to be iphone5), iPad 4g/wifi.
I got my iPhone 4 a couple of months after it was released and I got the $199 pricing.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.