Siri on iPhone 4?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MBP C2D 2.8 4GB OS X 10.8 | iPhone 5
Will "Siri", the voice recognition software announced along with the 4s, be available as some sort of software update for the iPhone 4? Just wondering because that would be nice to have and it doesn't make much sense as to why it wouldn't be available as some type of download at least to the iPhone 4 if not 3GS also.

PS - I posted in this section because the Apple website didn't say anything about Siri coming out alongside iOS 5 nor as a separate download which led me to think it has something to do with the new A5 chip.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I have heard Siri is VERY CPU intensive and needs the dual A5 to run smoothly. With that info I doubt it will be released for anything but the 4S.

OP
ImageX
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MBP C2D 2.8 4GB OS X 10.8 | iPhone 5
Small sadface if this is true. Like I said, it would be cool to have it, but Apple isn't tricking me into getting a whole new phone just for that feature. Thanks for the info.

- ImageX

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
I'm sure someone will find a way to test it on iPhone 4 hardware. then we'll see how well it works.

I really liked the name Assistant better though. It was much moree in line with Apple's way of naming things to more or less explain what they're for. Siri is very "un-Apple". I think it must have been a concession of buying/using the software.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
It was said yesterday that Siri is only for the iPhone 4S..whether that's because it needs the extra CPU cycles or something else is unclear..but it is not officially supported on any previous iPhone..which is too bad, cuz it looked quite fun..

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
It was said yesterday that Siri is only for the iPhone 4S..whether that's because it needs the extra CPU cycles or something else is unclear..but it is not officially supported on any previous iPhone..which is too bad, cuz it looked quite fun..

What about on the iPad2, since it also uses the A5 chip?

EDIT: Well it looks like Siri may not be supported on iPad2 at this point. I got this from theTUAW web site

Apple says: "Siri is available in Beta only on iPhone 4S and requires Internet access. Siri may not be available in all languages or in all areas, and features may vary by area. Cellular data charges may apply." So even with the same processor, it doesn't look promising.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
What about on the iPad2, since it also uses the A5 chip?

EDIT: Well it looks like Siri may not be supported on iPad2 at this point. I got this from theTUAW web site

Apple says: "Siri is available in Beta only on iPhone 4S and requires Internet access. Siri may not be available in all languages or in all areas, and features may vary by area. Cellular data charges may apply." So even with the same processor, it doesn't look promising.

Now if the requirement is Internet access, the iPad 2 wither WiFi or 3G does have that and does it have the processor to support that functionality, so that makes me wonder what other piece of hardware/software is so iPhone 4S specific that the iPad 2 is excluded..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15"MBP 2.66, 750GB 7200RPM HD, 8GB RAM; iPhone4S 64GB; 32GB iPad, White, AT&T.
It's strictly a way to market a marginal iPhone upgrade. I have to y, that is really the only thing I was looking forward to insofar as iOS 5 is concerned.

Reaction score
Hackers Working To Port Siri On iPhone 4

I'm sure someone will find a way to test it on iPhone 4 hardware. then we'll see how well it works.

I really liked the name Assistant better though. It was much moree in line with Apple's way of naming things to more or less explain what they're for. Siri is very "un-Apple". I think it must have been a concession of buying/using the software.

Hackers Working To Port Siri On iPhone 4 (SCREENSHOT)

Reaction score
Siri worked fine on the Iphone 3GS eighteen months ago when it was available from the appstore. Hmmm...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
Siri worked fine on the Iphone 3GS eighteen months ago when it was available from the appstore. Hmmm...

I seriously doubt its the same .

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
I seriously doubt its the same .

From what I've been told,SIRI will only work on the 4s due to "hardware limitations". Interpret that as you'd like, but I'll also quote this:
At this point, we’re unsure of whether Siri requires certain hardware components or not.
and then add that it's not just speculation.

As for it Previously working... Siri at the time was simply an app. It has evolved far past an app now. The physical technology was purchased by Apple and has since had engineers working on both the language and hardware in order to perfect it for the iOS platform.

Doug

C

chas_m

What Doug b said.

COULD Siri be made to POSSIBLY work on an iPhone 4? Yeah, I'll bet it could. Would it SUCK by comparison to the iPhone 4S? Yeah, most likely it would.

Apple is about the EXPERIENCE. They don't want you to use Siri if it's gonna suck, so they limit it to hardware they know will let it run well. Not really that hard to figure out.

I know that won't stop the experimenters, gawd bless 'em, but for everyone else -- the clue phone is ringing, and it's for you.

Reaction score
So why is it siri now runs fine on the iphone 4 and can talk to servers yet apple says it is hardware limitations.. I would have to go with the marketing ploy to force more people to buy the 4s since they did not release the 5

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
IMac 10.6.7/ 3.06GHZ IPhone 4S, IPad4 retina
Siri is not worth worrying about, not really that useful.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Each to his or her own. I know 1000's who love Siri and find it VERY useful.

Reaction score
Before the 4S came out I also thought it's not that useful - now that I have seen it, I really want to upgrade. So many cool things you can do with it - or rather Siri can do for you! ;-)

What does the word "Siri" stand for anyway?

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
I don't find it overly useful - yet, but I think it will be. I think there are some definite tweaks still required to make it really a day-to-day tool - but hopefully that will happen - as I can see it becoming very useful.

Reaction score
I have seen my friends looking for an address when I'm still typing into Google Maps or commanding it to "Shuffle Songs" in the car without having to go through menus and take their eyes of the road. I thought that was pretty cool!

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
Here's something interesting that I did not know - from Wikipedia
With Siri, Apple is using the results of over 40 years of research funded by DARPA via SRI International’s Artificial Intelligence Center through the Personalized Assistant that Learns Program and Cognitive Agent that Learns and Organizes Program CALO.

I think we're not even close to seeing the full utility of Siri yet - although I do still have concerns that we may be subjected to unwanted advertisement or data collection through Siri. Guess we'll see.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.