Seagate Momentus 750GB 7200 RPM or Samsung Spinpoint M8 1TB 5400 RPM?

Reaction score
I'm stuck on which of these two drives to buy for my mid-2010 MBP. The Spinpoint uses two 500GB platters, which is good, but it is only 5400 RPM; that's a sticking point for me. The Seagate has a smaller capacity, but it's faster; speed is crucial for me.

Here's my question: is there a major difference in the speed between the two? I use my MBP mostly for iPhoto (importing images from my DSLR), occasional video rendering (iMovie or Adobe Premiere), and Internet. Could someone give me their thoughts on which of these two drives would be the best? Or, if there are other suggestions, those are also welcome. Thanks!

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
Dual platter combos usually are slower to read data because it has to look for files on 2 platters in stead of one, and only gets worse when you make the platter space denser(2x375 on the seagate vs. 2x500 samsung). There's almost no getting away from them though. Keeping the disk "clean" is helpful with them. Other than that, I would pass on both. The momentus doesn't interest me because there are better drives I would spend that kind of money on, and 5400 rpm is slow as molasses.
I would look at the Western Digital Black WD7500BPKT.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2.4ghz i5 Macbook Pro
I threw a 750gb 7200 rpm seagate drive in my i5 2.4 macbook pro a few months back.. didn't notice a big speed increase and feel like it's not as quick as it should be. Also noticeably louder.

OP
J
Reaction score
Dual platter combos usually are slower to read data because it has to look for files on 2 platters in stead of one, and only gets worse when you make the platter space denser(2x375 on the seagate vs. 2x500 samsung). There's almost no getting away from them though. Keeping the disk "clean" is helpful with them. Other than that, I would pass on both. The momentus doesn't interest me because there are better drives I would spend that kind of money on, and 5400 rpm is slow as molasses.
I would look at the Western Digital Black WD7500BPKT.

Thanks for your input; ordered the WD this morning, hoping it arrives tomorrow!

Reaction score
Received the WD this afternoon; installed it with no problem, running quietly and smoothly!

Hey Joseph--

How has this drive been working for you? Any issues w/ SBBOD, music skipping, or anything like that? My wife's 2010 MBP has been having some serious issues w/ both a Western Digital Scorpio Blue 1TB and Scorpio Black 750GB that we've tried. I'm wondering if this Samsung might make a better choice to try.

Thx!
Fred

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.