Boot Linux, Recovery and rEFIt

Reaction score
Brand new to mac. I am a long-time linux programmer and want to be able to
dual-boot both lion and unbuntu.
I want to partition and set up a linux dual-boot.
But first of all, I'd like to get informed about a recovery scheme.

I see from Apple - OS X Lion Recovery - Introducing Lion Recovery that I should be able to initiate
such a process if my ubuntu installation hoses everything. I have already installed rEFIt.
To test, when I reboot, I press the 'windoze' key + r. I do not see anything like
the Lion Recovery screen as illustrated at the page above,
just the rEFIt menu. Note - I am not using a mac keyboard.

What else do I need to do? Or has the rEFIt installation created a whole new situation?

thanks
tim

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Your post was moved to the correct forum, title was edited for clarification.

If you installed rEFIt you should not have to hold down the command + R key to boot to the Recovery partition. rEFIt detects any bootable partitions on the drive and will give you a menu item for it which should appear each time you boot the machine.

And yes, you need a Mac keyboard as a Windows keyboard is not mapped correctly for the same boot keys. The Windows + R key isn't going to work the same as command + R.

OP
T
Reaction score
Your post was moved to the correct forum, title was edited for clarification.
Thank you.
If you installed rEFIt you should not have to hold down the command + R key to boot to the Recovery partition. rEFIt detects any bootable partitions on the drive and will give you a menu item for it which should appear each time you boot the machine.
I'm revisiting my experience. Upon reboot, using command(widows) + R causes the
rEFIt screen to refresh and the 'countdown' to reset. I note the menu items and from
you input, it appears that all is as it should be.
And yes, you need a Mac keyboard as a Windows keyboard is not mapped correctly for the same boot keys. The Windows + R key isn't going to work the same as command + R.
Thus far, I am finding that all keyboard shortcuts seem to work 'as advertised' using
the windows key as the command key. The owner's manual for the Mac Mini indicates
that I should find the windows key an acceptable substitute.
I would be very disappointed to find that I needed a mac keyboard to use a mac.
Having said that, I would consider the following
Amazon.com: Apple Wireless Keyboard: Electronics
If it worked in ubuntu also...

Thanks again. I would marked this as solved if I can figure out how.
tim

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I have both a wireless keyboard (same as on Amazon) and an Apple wired aluminum keyboard. Either one is acceptable. However, if you have a Win keyboard that's working for you, continue using it. Same advice for mice. I use an inexpensive Logitech optical mouse rather than the more expensive Magic Mouse that came with my iMac.

Also... don't overlook the many options that rEFIt offers for boot menu style and action. It takes a bit of reading and experimenting to get everything the way you like. It took me several days of experimentation and commenting out various options before my boot menu looked and acted the way I wanted it to.

OP
T
Reaction score
I'm currently using a logitech optical trackball. No problems at all that I can see.
Also... don't overlook the many options that rEFIt offers for boot menu style and action. It takes a bit of reading and experimenting to get everything the way you like. It took me several days of experimentation and commenting out various options before my boot menu looked and acted the way I wanted it to.
Ah! Got any links for such reading?
thanks again
tim

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yep. Here you go: LINK

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.