Bringing back the old school....original macbook pro 2006 new OCZ SSD.

Reaction score
Hi guys, it's obvious that I am new, and I don't know a ton about Mac's but I am working on it. I just got back from one of the local computer shops and they want to charge me $75 just to look at my computer. I know it is something small (I hope), and I know I am close. Here's the dealeo.

I have a 2006 macbook pro with 2 gigs of ram. I wanted to make it a little quicker like my other MBP (I put a crucial SSD in my other one and it works fantastic), so I bought a cheap OCZ vertex 2 SSD drive to throw in it. I thought that it would be as easy as my other MBP, but it has deemed impossible for my skills.

I tried everything to my knowledge to make it work, and no go. I tried installing lion, tiger, snow leopard, and none of those worked. So I plugged in my old drive and opened it up pressing option as I started the computer, while in my old drive (new SSD one is in the computer) I opened disc utilities and erased the new drive and partitioned it to one partition and even tried to restore it using the different installation discs that I have at my disposal. Nothing works.

With my new MBP it would only allow me to install lion because that is what was on it when I purchased it. I am wondering if this computer is the same way. Do I need to load a specific installation disc on this to make it work? One of the discs that I am using is for my iMac, on is for my other MBP etc.

Anyone have any ideas. I am on day 5 of being the stereotypical male and trying to figure it out myself. Any help or direction would be much appreciated.

thanks,

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
The gray disk are model specific. Meaning they only work with the computer model they are shipped with.

Therefor you would need to use your gray disk that came with your 2006 MB.

OP
S
Reaction score
thanks

thanks for the advise. I kind of thought that would have been the case.

Let's just say that I don't have that disc anymore. Any ideas of how to get one of those discs, or what exact one I would need to download from a torrent or something?

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
thanks for the advise. I kind of thought that would have been the case.

Let's just say that I don't have that disc anymore. Any ideas of how to get one of those discs, or what exact one I would need to download from a torrent or something?

Going to pretend I didn't see the part about downloading. Please review the community guidelines just incase. :p

Call apple and I'm sure they would be more than happy to help you.

Either that or use a retail copy of Mac OS X.

OP
S
Reaction score
whoops

What I meant was create my own torrent from my own discs that I buy from apple, then use those......right:)

Thanks for the advise.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.