• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

iPhone 4S new 14.4 Mbps HSDPA 4G speeds won't help Americans

Reaction score
iPhone 4S new 14.4 Mbps HSDPA 4G speeds won't help Americans

Apple demonstrated fast new 14.4 Mbps data downloads that technically put the new iPhone 4S in the realm of 4G LTE competitors, but US residents won't benefit much from the increased potential because domestic carriers don't support it.

pixel
p-8bUhLiluj0fAw.gif
adscout.php

Read more

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
.. and carriers don't support it because our infrastructure is outdated.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
.. and carriers don't support it because our infrastructure is outdated.

Don't you just love it when technology exceeds the current infrastructures.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Don't you just love it when technology exceeds the current infrastructures.

Infrastructure costs money. With the economy the way it is, it's not going to move foreward at a rapid pace, but it will move foreward. The rest of the world is in the dump as well and with the way things are going their infrastructure will start suffering soon enough...

All that being said, if that speed is important to you and you live in the US, don't buy an iPhone 4s...

C

chas_m

Yes, because there's no possible way any of that infrastructure could be upgraded over the course of the next year or so ...

PS. If the US can't handle fast speeds, why was everybody screaming about how vital it was that the new iPhone be a true 4G? As far as I can tell, nearly nobody in the U.S. actually has 4G, and now I've just been told the infrastructure's too dated to handle it anyway!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MBP C2D 2.8 4GB OS X 10.8 | iPhone 5
Yes, because there's no possible way any of that infrastructure could be upgraded over the course of the next year or so ...

PS. If the US can't handle fast speeds, why was everybody screaming about how vital it was that the new iPhone be a true 4G? As far as I can tell, nearly nobody in the U.S. actually has 4G, and now I've just been told the infrastructure's too dated to handle it anyway!

If only the people who ran the country had as much sense as half of us here on the Mac-Forums...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
As far as I can tell, nearly nobody in the U.S. actually has 4G, and now I've just been told the infrastructure's too dated to handle it anyway!

There is some coverage in major metropolitan centers. For example parts of the greater LA area have coverage and people I know who have 4G phones do get some coverage as they drive around LA, it's just not consistent by any means. It'll get better, hopefully.

Agree on the people screaming about it "needing" to be 4G...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 3.2QC, 27" (Oct 2012), iPad (3rd)、iPhone 6 Plus
I live in a small town in US, where both AT&T and Verizon have shares. I bought my iPhone 3G in 2008 and got iPhone 4 white on the day it was introduced. While Verizon offers 3G service for quite sometimes now, AT&T finally started their 3G service in my area about a month ago. It took almost 3 years for AT&T to provide 3G service but everyone is now talking about 4G.... Pretty sad.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
I would love to see some screen shots of 4G speeds so far the friends that have 4G
have not seen these speeds they mention more like 6 to 8 Mbps and I at least get
3 to 4 around downtown Houston and my battery makes it through the normal 8hr work day.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.