• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Apple announces the iPhone 4S

Reaction score
One of the things I'm noticing for the keynote is when they demo Siri. You push and hold the Home button for two seconds and you can ask away. What happened to force closing an app that happens to lock up?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Unreal. Ok so no bigger screen or whatnot but no 4G??? Whatever. So they'll be TWO years behind when they finally introduce it

4g or upload and download speeds the same as 4g - what's the difference?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro|15" Hi-Res Anti-Glare|2.2 GHz quad i7|4GB RAM
I'll be getting one. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Unreal. Ok so no bigger screen or whatnot but no 4G??? Whatever. So they'll be TWO years behind when they finally introduce it

Apple got burned on the move to 3G and they are not going to do it again. Once 4G is really mainstream (in the US) they will introduce it on the iPhone. Right now it's still early in the infrastructure process and 4G isn't everywhere yet so it's no real loss.

4g or upload and download speeds the same as 4g - what's the difference?

Apparently that won't happen in the US. Sure the phone can do it, but the carriers don't provide the capability. Yet.

Reaction score
So I have verizon and AT&T. I have 2 upgrades for Verizon and no upgrades for AT&T can I get my upgrade from Verizon and use the phone on AT&T?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13" 2.5 Ghz i5 with 16GB of RAM and a 1TB SSD.
I don't understand why so many people are getting upset of it. I think it's a very nice upgrade. People are just mad because it's not labeled iPhone 5. So to the mind, your not getting as good of a device. Your gauging it to be second best, while it is not. I have never had a smart phone and was waiting on this phone for my upgrade. I AM PUMPED!

C

chas_m

I'm not quite clear on the "disappointment" about the iPhone 5. The iPhone 4S has *every* feature (plus some) that was reported to be in the iPhone 5 -- it even has what many cell providers CALL 4G speeds, so what EXACTLY is the problem? Not expensive enough or something?

Aside to a.j.c: Siri *is* in the software, but requires a LOT of processing power, so it won't run on a single-core cpu like all the earlier iPhones have.

Personally I think this is the perfect update -- it's not so mind-blowingly amazing (well, apart from Siri) that everyone who's recently bought an iPhone 4 feels cheated, but it's also got more than enough new cool stuff in it that all those millions of people who bought a new iPhone and who's two-year contracts are nearing the end are ready to upgrade. Great timing, really.

The real "iPhone 5" is now clear to come out in 2012, which is ACTUALLY the fifth anniversary of the iPhone AND when genuine (not marketing hype) fourth-gen cell networks should be reasonably widespread (at least in the bigger cities). Seems like some nice symmetry to me, personally.

Reaction score
I agree with chase' main points. I waited to make the switch to iPhone, and the 4S suits me just fine. Couldn't be happier, in fact. We're hearing disgruntle from existing iPhone users who have a perfectly good phone and for some reason wanted to buy a new one, but not happy gruntle from lurking switchers like me. (I assume "gruntle" means contented.)

Reaction score
I am not due an upgrade on my iP4 until next year anyway so I wouldn't be getting the 4s yet anyway but they look like good upgrades to me. People are complaining about the screen being the same as the outgoing model but in my opinion even if you do increase the size then you would still not be able to view webpages much better than on the ip4, for this reason I bought an iPad2 and love it! The new phone has a much better processor and quicker speeds in everyday which is always good but none of this makes the iP4 suddenly a crap phone because something new is out. Thevone thing I do like is the bigger storage which for me would mean that I could get all my music on the phone instead of just certain playlists then I could give my older iPod classic to one of my kids!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MPB 2.2 Intel Core Duo 2gb Ram - G5 Tower PPC - iPhone 4 - 2x3GHZ 12gb Ram MacPro Tower, ATV2
All looks great! Very exciting!

I just wonder one thing:

Will Siri work properly?? Sounds awesome but I've had a few phones with voice recognition in the past - including the iPhone 4 - and never work properly! Or if they do you might have well have used your fingers in the first place! lol

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
Engadget reported that when they tried it, it worked very well. Even without "training" the software to their voice.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So I have verizon and AT&T. I have 2 upgrades for Verizon and no upgrades for AT&T can I get my upgrade from Verizon and use the phone on AT&T?

Assuming that you are willing to pay the stiff termination fee for the 2 year contract that VZW is going to make you sign to get that upgrade, I would think so.

Then again knowing the US carriers, they'll find a way to make this not work.

Reaction score
Assuming that you are willing to pay the stiff termination fee for the 2 year contract that VZW is going to make you sign to get that upgrade, I would think so.

Then again knowing the US carriers, they'll find a way to make this not work.

Thanks for the reply. What termination fee? I have 3 phones with Verizon 2 are out of contract. I have 1 AT&T phone which is still in contract. I was gonna use one of my upgrades with verizon and just use it as my AT&T phone. I won't be canceling anything.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27-inch 2020 iMac; 3.8GHz 8-core Intel Core i7 processor; 32GB RAM; Radeon Pro 5500 XT; 2 TB SSD
Thanks for the reply. What termination fee? I have 3 phones with Verizon 2 are out of contract. I have 1 AT&T phone which is still in contract. I was gonna use one of my upgrades with verizon and just use it as my AT&T phone. I won't be canceling anything.

One assumes that when you upgrade with Verizon you will be getting a subsidized iPhone 4S under contract and hence it will be "locked" to the Verizon network for at least the term of your contract. I don't believe you can then just put in an AT&T SIM and have it work straight out of the box. You will need to have the phone unlocked and pay the contract cancellation fee.

The only way this would work as you would want to to buy an unlocked iPhone 4S.

Mark

Reaction score
One assumes that when you upgrade with Verizon you will be getting a subsidized iPhone 4S under contract and hence it will be "locked" to the Verizon network for at least the term of your contract. I don't believe you can then just put in an AT&T SIM and have it work straight out of the box. You will need to have the phone unlocked and pay the contract cancellation fee.

The only way this would work as you would want to to buy an unlocked iPhone 4S.

Mark

im not going to cancel the line just not use the phone under that line.. when i broke my iphone 3g i just bought a go phone used it on the line. canceled the data package and never had a problem.. i understand the part about the phone being locked to verizon (which is what my question was) i am just not understanding the part about the cancelation fee when i will not be canceling the line.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27-inch 2020 iMac; 3.8GHz 8-core Intel Core i7 processor; 32GB RAM; Radeon Pro 5500 XT; 2 TB SSD
im not going to cancel the line just not use the phone under that line.. when i broke my iphone 3g i just bought a go phone used it on the line. canceled the data package and never had a problem.. i understand the part about the phone being locked to verizon (which is what my question was) i am just not understanding the part about the cancelation fee when i will not be canceling the line.

Although the IP 4S will be both CDMA/GSM capable, a subsidized phone from Verizon will likely not recognize an AT&T SIM as it will be "locked in" on the CDMA Verizon network.

Mark

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Although the IP 4S will be both CDMA/GSM capable, a subsidized phone from Verizon will likely not recognize an AT&T SIM as it will be "locked in" on the CDMA Verizon network.

Mark

That's actually a big question yet to be answered. A subsidized phone would likely be locked to the network that subsidized it but if you are willing to pay there termination fee they should be willing to unlock it. If they will remains to be seen.

That upgrade will be subsidized by VZW and in return for the subsidy they will expect to extend your contract for another 2 years. If you are willing to pay the unsubsidized price (upwards of $600) then you can do what you want with the phone. That "upgrade" isn't really free, it's a way to keep you on their network longer and keep your business. Don't be under the illusion that ANY of the carriers are doing you ANY favors with upgrades, they are just trying to keep you paying that monthly fee. The cancelation fee comes when they discover that the device that is "tied" to their network, is removed from their network before the end of the contract period. It's an automated process these days. They see that as a cancelation and will bill you accordingly. This does't happen within the carriers network, like when you simply replaced one VZW phone for another (i've done the same on AT&T) only when you decide to switch to another network before the end of the contract period.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15"MBP 2.66, 750GB 7200RPM HD, 8GB RAM; iPhone4S 64GB; 32GB iPad, White, AT&T.
I am personally disappointed with the 4S release. For the cost of the upgrade I'll think I'll wait for the bigger screen. I like the assistant, however, only for the 4S was another disappointment.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.