• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Apple announces the iPhone 4S

Reaction score
Apple announces the iPhone 4S

apple-icon-200-1317743029.jpg
Apple has announced the next-generation iPhone, the iPhone 4S. Although externally it appears identical to the iPhone 4, internally it's seen many changes. It includes the same dual-core A5 processor that debuted in the iPad 2. Its graphics processor, which is also dual-core, provides up to 7 times the graphical performance of the iPhone 4's A4 chip.

The iPhone 4S has improved battery life over its predecessor, and it now allows for 8 hours 3G talktime, 14 hours 2G talktime, and 6 hours of 3G web browsing.

The iPhone 4S's wireless system has also been tweaked; the handset will now intelligently switch between antennas for optimal performance. This not only improves signal reliability, it also doubles the theoretical maximum speed from 7.2 Mbps on the iPhone 4 to 14.4 Mbps on the iPhone 4S. The iPhone 4S is also now a true "world phone" with integrated chipsets for both GSM and CDMA networks. This will simplify Apple's product lineup and consumer buying decisions, as there will be only one "model" of iPhone 4S that should work on virtually any carrier in the world.

The iPhone 4S has a much-improved 8 megapixel camera that can shoot up to 3264 x 2448 images. Its backside-illuminated sensor allows it to capture 73 percent more light per pixel than the iPhone 4, and a five-element lens leads to photos that are up to 30 percent sharper than those on the iPhone 4. A new signal processor enables face detection and 26 percent better white balance. The camera also works much faster than on previous models; Apple claims it takes only 1.1 seconds to take the first photo, with subsequent shots having a delay of only half a second. The improved camera also features true 1080p HD video recording and video stabilization, a first for the iPhone.

Like the iPad 2, the iPhone 4 can now mirror its screen via AirPlay or a cable connected to the dock.

Perhaps the most anticipated feature of the iPhone 4S is its support for Siri, an "intelligent assistant" that enables recognition of voice queries and commands. We have further information on Siri itself available in a standalone post.

Apple announces the iPhone 4S originally appeared on TUAW - The Unofficial Apple Weblog on Tue, 04 Oct 2011 14:21:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.

SourceÂ*|Â*PermalinkÂ*|Â*Email thisÂ*|Â*Comments

Read more

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
Had a strong feeling this was going to happen. Glad I'm holding out for next year's iPhone offering. That's when things are really going to get good.

Siri does look pretty cool, though. And how about that camera on the 4s? Very nice. :)

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
The update and the new features seems nice. Not sure if it's a big enough incentive for me to upgrade from my first gen iPhone though. >_<"

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
25" iMac 3.06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo iPhone 4
It took this long to just upgrade to a 4S? Not what I'd hope for

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
You'll forgive me for laughing at this but...

Apple.com said:
Access Denied
You don't have permission to access "http://www.apple.com/" on this server.

Reference #18.355700cc.1317754812.a4ff982

iWhat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!

Not sure that I have ever seen that happen... a crawl maybe, but never seen an Apple event bring down their site. :p Their site has always been pretty stable during these times.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
Not sure that I have ever seen that happen... a crawl maybe, but never seen an Apple event bring down their site. :p

Someone messed up their load sharing.. at least so it would appear. It's not load driven I would hazard a guess.. but configuration. Since well, just prior to getting this.. the 4s wasn't on their site ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
soon to be another iMac owner
any pre-ordering info?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.66 GHz 20", iPad Mini2 32GB, iPhone6 64GB, Watch Sport 42mm Black, iPad Air 2 128GB
They are updating the site with details of all the wonderful new features and devices.......

.......well, they might be if there were any :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
soon to be another iMac owner
so i thought siri was going to be built into the new ios but its actually built into the phone?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
They are updating the site with details of all the wonderful new features and devices.......

.......well, they might be if there were any :D

So the 4s has no new updates? I swear I heard many in the keynote.

If you expected Sprint 4g, that was a rumor. Apple never promised that. If people would just wait for an event and not listen to the Rumor sites, there would be a lot less unhappy people. Just a note and to myself also.

IOS5 will also rock.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE

I am getting the same thing! GRRRRRRRRR! :D Maybe Samsung hacked their servers to get back at Apple for stopping their tablet in some countries! :D Grin

Access Denied

You don't have permission to access "http://www.apple.com/" on this server.
Reference #18.2b1deb3f.1317757211.2b4eb58e

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
apple.com is working for me...

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reaction score
Unreal. Ok so no bigger screen or whatnot but no 4G??? Whatever. So they'll be TWO years behind when they finally introduce it

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
Unreal. Ok so no bigger screen or whatnot but no 4G??? Whatever. So they'll be TWO years behind when they finally introduce it

They would only be 2 years behind if a 4G network came out a year ago.

Since 4G will most likely be the existing network when they add 4G, they will technically be current.

But since 3G is still the dominant network by a very wide margin, they are still current.

just my 2 cents

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.