mounting 2nd hdd in mac OS (diskutil) issues

Reaction score
Fore warned Im not a mac user, I know enough about linux to assist a friend in data recovery.

So heres the issue, my friend was having some trouble with is iMac drive, took upon himself to replace the drive with a new OEM drive reinstall everything. Gave me the drive to try and recover the data.

So my routine is to plug it up to a SATA to USB adapter mount it in a live cd copy data off to a good usb drive and im done.

Well thanks to journaling, I cannot access the drives Users directorys, and the drive only mounts in linux as readonly so i cannot change the ownership.

Note this drive mounts automatically in Fedora 15 with the hfsplus utils and tool, without issue.

But when I try to mount the effer in Mac OS with diskutil, it mounts but to no mount point, and when i do a diskutil info on the disk (note the os sees the drive) it doesnt show the mac partition.

Help hes a photographer and needs some of the data. Any assistance to get the bugger mounted is appreciated.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.