My wireless keyboard key "Z" does not work!

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I bought a iMac 27" on April 2010. It came with the wireless aluminum small keyboard (no numeric pad). Current Mac OS X version is 10.6.8 and I don't have to download any additional updates.

Yesterday, everything was working fine. But today my "Z" key has stopped working. Not even Shift or Caps Lock helps.

This is what I tried and didn't work:

1.) System Preferences > Universal Access > Mouse > Turn off "Mouse Keys".

2.) System Preferences > Speech > Turn off "Speak selected text when the key is pressed".

3.) Restarted the computer using Mac OS X installation cd. Used the Terminal to check if the Z key was working. No success.

4.) Slammed my head several times against the keyboard.

5.) I don't eat or drink near the computer. Mechanically, the Z key seems in good shape and cleaned. Even when I turn the keyboard upside down and shake it, there aren't any sights of hair/crumbs/boogers/dust/etc on the desk.

6.) System Preferences > Languages & Text > Input Sources > Keyboard & Character Viewer. The Z key doesn't work. Everything else does.

7.) The 2009 Aluminum Wireless Keyboard Firmware is up to date.

8.) I have Windows 7 installed on Bootcamp but rarely use it. I opened a Notepad file to see if the key was working but had no luck. On the control panel it says the keyboard is working properly and the drivers are up do date.

What can I do?

Thanks.

OP
V
Reaction score
I was trying to avoid to remove my key because I'm afraid I'll break something.

But it seems I have no choice. I'll check the link and report the result.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air M1 2020 Ventura 13.4.1 500Gb 8Gb. iPhone12, Watch 5, HomePods.
If you're not sure can you borrow a similar keyboard from somebody local to test in it's place?

OP
V
Reaction score
Saw nothing wrong when I removed the key. I don't know, maybe I'll need to get a new keyboard.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I was trying to avoid to remove my key because I'm afraid I'll break something.

But it seems I have no choice. I'll check the link and report the result.

Just another point . Did you turn off the keyboard and drop the batteries out to reset? I would recommend that you do this before you remove a key anyway..I've just noticed that the keyboard in the article is still turned on.

Here's what I'd do

1. Power down and remove batteries
2. Remove key and investigate/clean.
3. If you have any compressed air in a can give it blast
4. Replace key
5.Replace batteries and power up

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Saw nothing wrong when I removed the key. I don't know, maybe I'll need to get a new keyboard.

Well it's a bunch of switches basically, I guess signalling noughts and one's via bluetooth which is pretty much bomb-proof. It does sound like the switch is not 'making' though for some reason because it looks like you've tried the Apple support advice.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.