What's wrong with my iMac?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid-2011 27" iMac, 3.4 Ghz i7, 16 GB RAM, 6970m 2GB
For the past two days ive been experiencing graphic glitches. The screen in places goes really bright colours and pixelated. Here is a picture

107tklc.png

Im worried :(

C

chas_m

I hate to be the bearer of bad tidings, but the fact that you could take a screenshot (as opposed to pointing a camera at the screen) indicates that this is a logic board issue rather than something faulty with the monitor. I could be wrong, of course, but either way it's very likely to be a hardware issue.

Has the machine been under any undue stress (unusual heat or cold, or the possibility of a lightning strike, et al)? Although I don't think it will do any good, have you tried a PRAM/NVRAM reset (instructions here)? Have you run the Apple Hardware Test included on your original DVDs?

Ultimately I would recommend that you take the machine to either the place where you bought it or (preferably) the nearest Apple Retail Store for an exam. This looks like a hardware issue to me, and that means (regardless of whether you have a warranty or not) that's the only place that can fix it.

OP
O
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid-2011 27" iMac, 3.4 Ghz i7, 16 GB RAM, 6970m 2GB
We have had a heatwave but I very much doubt it has caused this problem

I will do the PRAM/NVRAM reset now and the iMac shipped with no disk (Lion pre installed etc.)

It seemed to appear when I were using Expose and Space, I moved photoshop onto another desktop whilst playing 720p on Youtube

Update:

The problem goes away with a simple reset, but I've done the PRAM/NVRAM recent. If the problem persists, I'll take it to my Apple shop, thanks Chas

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.