Missing Full Screen Button on Word 2011

Reaction score
Hi,

When I first got Word 2011 for my new Mac, the document had a "full screen" button (along with notebook view, etc) on the bottom left hand corner of the document. Now all of a sudden, these buttons are missing! I can't find how to get them back. I don't want to go up to "view" every time I want to change to full screen.

Help? Thoughts?

Thanks!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I can find no way to turn that small tool bar off or on. I believe it should be there unless somehow your Normal template has become corrupt. What I suggest is try removing the old Normal template and let Word create another and let's see if that resolves the problem.

Try this. Close all Office applications and documents. Use your Finder to navigate to:

MacIntosh HD/Users/your user name/Library/Application Support/Microsoft/Office/User Templates/Normal.dotm

Move the file Normal.dotm to your desktop. Now restart Word. Let us know if that works.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I just went through all the options again, turned the top Ribbon on and off, did all I could to either make the layout toolbar go away or change it. No go.

The only suggestion I have left is rather drastic, and that is to reinstall Word which is a real pain to do as Office 2011 does not have an uninstaller.

Before you decide to reinstall, try creating a test account. Give it admin permissions, then log off your account and log on to the new account. Open Word. Let's see if it's still missing the document layout toolbar.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.