Time Machine Failure

Reaction score
Since installing iMovie... and a new HD, my external HD no longer backs up. It gives me this error message:

Starting standard backup
Backing up to: /Volumes/Studio BackUp/Backups.backupdb
No pre-backup thinning needed: 4.49 GB requested (including padding), 458.68 GB available
Copied 11 files (24 KB) from volume MP3's.
Copied 1848 files (1012.8 MB) from volume Macintosh HD.
Error: (2) setxattr for key:com.apple.backupd.SnapshotVolumeUUID path:/Volumes/Studio BackUp/Backups.backupdb/Jeffrey Powel’s Mac Pro/2011-10-03-113653.inProgress/6813551A-A353-4052-9AD4-4A7BE6ED83F8/A/V Disk size:37
Stopping backup.
Copied 1848 files (1012.8 MB) from volume A/V Disk.
Copy stage failed with error:11
Backup failed with error: 11

I ran disk repair on the external HD and it is fine. I did screw up about a week ago and tried to change an iMovie file from OUTSIDE imovie and it did not like that. I ended up having to re-establish the paths for it. Just wondering if that has something to do with it. I also installed a 1 T HD (called A/V DisK) to handle the iMovie files but excluded it from the Time machine Back up.

Any thoughts?

Help??

Jeff

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It looks like Time Machine is confused because of the new hard drive you installed not because of iMovie. Unless there is some compelling reason you need to keep the old backup data, just erase the external hard drive and start over again with TM.

OP
J
Reaction score
Thank you for the reply, but it turns out that Time Machine was confused, but not by either iMovie or my new hard drive. When I added my new hard drive, I named it: A/V Disk. While the Mac browser was OK with the "/" in the name, time machine wasn't. I read countless articles until I stumbled on this one. Simple fix and all is now good. Thanks.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.