• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Tim Cook's "time to shine" with new iPhone announcement

Reaction score
Tim Cook's "time to shine" with new iPhone announcement

tcookstock.jpg
Tomorrow is a big day for Apple fans around the world, it's also a big day for Apple CEO Tim Cook. Cook is expected to introduce the next generation iPhone. Apple's first high-profile announcement since WWDC and Cook's first as CEO.

Cook is highly regarded as an expert in operations and supply chain management. He is given credit as the man who secured an ample and inexpensive supply of internal components for the iPod, iPhone and iPad.

Tomorrow will be a test of whether he can move beyond that role and deliver a dynamic and exciting keynote. Cook will likely be joined by Phil Schiller and Scott Forstall, but Steve Jobs is not expected to make an appearance. Nervousness aside, Cook should do a fine job introducing one of the most highly anticipated products of 2011.

All of us at TUAW will be following the keynote and meta live-blogging it. Won't you join us?

Tim Cook's "time to shine" with new iPhone announcement originally appeared on TUAW - The Unofficial Apple Weblog on Mon, 03 Oct 2011 13:30:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.

SourceÂ*|Â*PermalinkÂ*|Â*Email thisÂ*|Â*Comments

Read more

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
Reeeeeally boring thus far. Like, Reeeeeeally.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.66 GHz 20", iPad Mini2 32GB, iPhone6 64GB, Watch Sport 42mm Black, iPad Air 2 128GB
Has he said anything more than 'look how well we are doing' yet? :Confused:

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Typical of every Apple Event I have seen. Not boring but they always take care of the bragging first.

IOS 5 comes out October 12th. Gold Master released today.

@Doug, then go watch the Windows Phone launch and just love those nice large ugly icons all over the screen! :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
Has he said anything more than 'look how well we are doing' yet? :Confused:

Yes...
If I were the CEO of such a successful company, I would be doing the same exact thing.

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
Yes...
If I were the CEO of such a successful company, I would be doing the same exact thing.

Yes - he's really talking to the shareholders and investors. He'll eventually get to the stuff us poor people care about. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.66 GHz 20", iPad Mini2 32GB, iPhone6 64GB, Watch Sport 42mm Black, iPad Air 2 128GB
Yes...

Probably true.

However, that does mean a lot of people are holding their breath waiting for an announcement of some new device or other - and some of us are turning blue :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
I dunno... finding Tim's personality to be very lackluster. He reminds me of Droopy Dog.

btw, cnn.com has a delayed feed of the event. go to their video section.

images

picture-31.png

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
iCloud goes live October 12, same as iOS 5. iTunes Match live at the end of the month in the US.

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
I'm not actually watching it. I can barely sit through my own boring meetings - much less one where I'm not getting paid.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Doug, there is only ONE Steve Jobs and he is gone. We could get Steve Balmer to get up there and scream and yell and wave his arms and yell I JUST LOVE THIS COMPANY but I think I will pass.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
New iPod touch. Our most popular iPod, and it's incredible. Not only the most popular music player in the world, but we’re excited to announce it’s now also the most popular portable game player in the world. [Apple just stomped Nintendo and Sony]

iOS 5 on them. New white model. 8GB now down to $199, 32GB for $299, 64GB for $399. Available October 12.

Ah Ha, the sites were right! iPhone 4s. Same phone outside with all new (His words) insides.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 17" 2.2ghz i7 quadcore 8gbRAM 750gbHD 1.0gbVRAM Radeon 6570M iPod Touch 4G 32gb iPhone 4S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Wish Steve was well enough to come back.

This has been very much a 'non-event' so far :Smirk:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Doug, there is only ONE Steve Jobs and he is gone. We could get Steve Balmer to get up there and scream and yell and wave his arms and yell I JUST LOVE THIS COMPANY but I think I will pass.

I can't stand Steve Balmer and his seemingly cocaine induced rants.. he's a nut job with nothing to offer other than a blind eye towards lack of innovation and lots of sweaty arm pit stains.

Steve Jobs on the other hand... I don't know what it is about the guy but... even though he's got a fairly subdued tone about him, he exhudes a very positive outlook which shines past what might be seen as a somewhat casual exterior. I love his quirkiness and how he can be sarcastic at times. The guys talking today just feel out of place to me, as if they don't really believe in what they're saying.

Anyhoo... I'm diggin' Siri, though I've been using voice assisted tech with my Android phone for quite some time now, and it's a great benefit. People always looked at me as if I were nuts, until I told them what I was doing (if they asked, which some do) and then the response was always "oh, ok.. not too familiar with what that is. I don't think the iPhone has it" ! lol... I mean seriously, if the iPhone doesn't have it, then it's all of a sudden not a valid app or feature... Admittedly however, the Siri implementation looks to be integrated a lot better.

iCloud is obviously pretty cool, given that it actually works, unlike MobileMe. Notification center is definitely a great improvement, though yet another feature which I've been used to in many different flavors (of my choosing) on the Android platform since forever...

The camera looks great! I was wondering if they'd improve the sensor so as not to just cram more pixels on it, and it looks like they've really worked that out from what we've seen. Editing looks great, as does the AE/AF feature.. that's hot stuff right there!

I'm actually happy that the iPhone "5" isn't out yet. When we're eligible for upgrades via Sprint next year, it will be just in time!

My only real disappointment with the iPhone is the UI. I really, really reeeally feel that it's very long in the tooth already. It needs a serious refresh. The static icons are quite boring looking to me. But that may be just me?

Doug

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
@Doug, I totally agree about Steve Jobs, but I doubt he will ever be back the way he looked last time I saw him. No one can replace him in many ways. Tim is fine I guess and will run the company the way Jobs wants, but no one has Jobs personality. No one.

Agreed on Balmer. Threw in his name to be sarcastic! :D Evil Grin!

I love the 4s. It's a good update. Outstanding Camera, Faster CPU. Siri is great.

I LOVE IOS's UI. Every other mobile UI I have tried bothers me in one way or another. If they do change it down the road I hope they do not ruin it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So now we know why the event was so dull.

It is probably reasonable to assume that Tim knew that Steve Jobs was dying while he was making the announcement - even if they could not actually make that public at the time.

Must have been pretty difficult to go ahead with the event with such awful news in the background.

I am still not very impressed with the rubbish updates, but not as unimpressed by the dull event itself now.

RIP, Steve - you have changed the lives of so many people around the World.

Hope you were uploaded to Heaven - a different form of Cloud Technology :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.