• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

"App Rentals" Coming to iOS?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
Sounds like a pretty good idea.
...as long as apps still offer the limited-function "free" version too. Sometimes that's all I want and I'll play it again months later.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
25" iMac 3.06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo iPhone 4
Sounds like rentals would replace free, but that's just my impression

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MB Air Core i7 256GB, 2011 Mini with 8GB RAM, iPad 2, iPhone 4S, 2TB Time Capsule
The problem being that nobody really knows how it would work or what the "rental" would be... Paid, free, or otherwise.

Quite frankly, as a developer, I would rather not "give my App away" for free, even for a limited time use. I put a lot of work in developing it, it's a great product, and I want end users to purchase it and get a lot of use out of it.

Reaction score
The problem being that nobody really knows how it would work or what the "rental" would be... Paid, free, or otherwise.

Quite frankly, as a developer, I would rather not "give my App away" for free, even for a limited time use. I put a lot of work in developing it, it's a great product, and I want end users to purchase it and get a lot of use out of it.
The problem is, not all apps are great products a lot of apps are crappy. I for one do not want to rent a crappy app. I think the way they have it now is good, why fix it if its not broken? Just my 2.

Reaction score
^ I think rentals are a good idea, especially for more expensive programs. There have been one or two occasions in the last year when I would have loved to use LogMeIn Fusion. But I'm not going to fork over $30 for something used so infrequently. But I might have ponied up a few bucks for each of the days when I needed it.

That said, I agree with others here that this new option shouldn't necessarily come at the elimination of the free model. I actually think the two will coexist nicely, really, as different companies will use different models depending on their markets.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.66 GHz 20", iPad Mini2 32GB, iPhone6 64GB, Watch Sport 42mm Black, iPad Air 2 128GB
From the users' point of view, the one thing missing with Apple Apps compared with Android ones is you can't get a refund if you don't like the App or if it doesn't do what you wanted - or even if it doesn't work.

A 'free' version of the App helps with that - but of course the 'free' one will be a cut-down version, which may not have the feature you want to test.

Perhaps a 'rental' of the full version might overcome this. You get the full version and try it out. If it does what you want then buy the full version.

On the other hand, it is not as if we are talking of hugely expensive software, like that on Windows systems. If the App cost a couple of pounds and the description looks as if it might do what you want, then give it a try. Even having said that, the Android Market lets you buy an App for a similar sum and still get a refund if you delete it from your system within a short time - so you really can try an App without risk.

If the App costs £1.99 to buy, how much would it cost to rent? I suppose this would add up over time but it might seem a lot of technical overhead for very tiny amounts. That sort of comment might explain why I am not as rich as Apple of course :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5

While YOU think that your app is great, your point of view is obviously highly biased. Others may not agree that your app is great. But if you really stand behind your work, it should be trivial for you to release an app for free for a very limited time in order to have people try it out. Like for say, 2 days? If people really do find it useful, and can see getting a ton of use out of it, then they'll buy it.

I personally never buy apps unless I read tons of good reviews first. And even then, I'm never truly sure. Take Apple's Pages for instance. Plenty of people love it, but it's not really a very good app if what you're looking to do is export to an MS Word document. The formatting gets completely messed up, so I'm not even sure of why they'd even introduce the option to export to a "Word" document in the first place if it's half baked. That's just a small example, and I could go on but I hope you get my point.

If one could get their money back, it would be a totally different ballgame.

Doug

Reaction score
^ I think rentals are a good idea, especially for more expensive programs. There have been one or two occasions in the last year when I would have loved to use LogMeIn Fusion. But I'm not going to fork over $30 for something used so infrequently. But I might have ponied up a few bucks for each of the days when I needed it.

That said, I agree with others here that this new option shouldn't necessarily come at the elimination of the free model. I actually think the two will coexist nicely, really, as different companies will use different models depending on their markets.
I can see where your coming from, it does make sense for the high end apps.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
I only like this rental idea if it is implemented with pricier apps. There's NO way rentals will replace free apps because, believe it or not, there are people who don't buy apps that cost more than $0.00. Renting isn't a term associated with borrowing something without some form of payment or exchange of personal data(?)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.