'make' command on Mac OS 10.6

Reaction score
I'd say I'm relatively new to Mac and definitely new to programming on a Mac. I'm trying to compile a program to run on my Mac. I looked online and through the forums as much as I could. All the posts I found said that to get the 'make' command you have to install the XCode tools. I have already downloaded the tools from Apple and installed them using the 'XcodeTools.mpkg'. I've rebooted the computer and still I get the error:
make: command not found
I've tried using sudo but I still get the same error.

Is there a way to check and see if they were installed properly?

This is probably a real simple solution but being new I'm missing it.

Any ideas?

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
You'll know whether or not Xcode was installed if there is a folder at / called "Developer" (in other words, the folder /Developer should exist).

Reaction score
What he said....also if you do have a Developer folder, What is the output of "echo $PATH" in Terminal without the quotes.

OP
S
Reaction score
@vansmith
Yes there is a "Developer" folder.

@cradom
echo $PATH gives me:
/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.6/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/X11/bin

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
If you execute the following, do you get anything?
Code:
which make
/usr/bin/make should be printed back.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Do you have /usr/bin/gnumake? If so, it would seem that the symlink wasn't created which can made by executing the following:
Code:
sudo ln -s /usr/bin/gnumake /usr/bin/make
If you don't have gnumake, the appropriate tools haven't been properly installed. If that's the case, reinstall Xcode.

OP
S
Reaction score
When trying to reinstall XCode I get a pop up that says "In order to continue installation, please close the following application:"
"iTunes"

The problem is the installer is the only thing running, unless there are some background processes running that I don't know how to see or kill.

Reaction score
Open Activity Monitor and see if Itunes Helper is running. If so, select it and click the Quit Process button.

Reaction score
For all those that re-installing XCode does not work for, as it didn't for me, you may need more information...

In order to properly work with XCode you need to be registered as an apple developer.
https://developer.apple.com/membercenter

Then, even if you do not get the make command to work you may need to download and install Command Line Tools for Xcode, https://developer.apple.com/downloads

After doing this I was able to get the make command to be recognized.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You don't have to be a registered developer to work with Xcode. You only need to be registered if you want to submit your app to the App Store.

Reaction score
For all those that re-installing XCode does not work for, as it didn't for me, you may need more information...

Then, even if you do not get the make command to work you may need to download and install Command Line Tools for Xcode, https://developer.apple.com/downloads

Another way to install the command line tools is to launch XCode, go to XCode->preferences, click on "downloads" and select the command line tools and install.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.