new HDD hybrid (with SSD cache) or 2nd SSD in Optical Bay slot?

Reaction score
I have the 2010 MacBook Pro 15" and would like to go for a quicker HDD.

What do you think of going for replacing the existing HDD with one of the hybrid HDD's which has a SSD cache, as opposed to putting a 2nd dedicated SSD in the optical bay for the O/S?

An example of the hybrid I had in mind was:
- Seagate MOMENTUS XT 7200.4 500GB SATA 2.5 7200rpm 32MB

Wondering if going to the hybrid would give me say 70% of the performance increase of a dedicated SSD, or say only 20%? I just have no idea. Would be a bit easier to install the hybrid, however if it only gives me less than 50% of what a dedicated SSD for OS would give me, then I'd probably want to go with the SSD in optical drive slot.

thanks

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
Heard alot of bad things about those hybrid drives. It wont give much of performance increase. Nowhere near a true SSD, but it is a bit faster than a regular HDD. thats if it works.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
My boot time is 4-6 seconds faster with the WD Black 500GB than I ever managed to get with the Hybrid. In use, the hybrid also beachballed - a lot. No, it will not give you anything even resembling the function of an SSD - not even 20%.

I can boot my 5 yr old MBP with the WD only 4 seconds slower than the new MBA with it's SSD.

However, if you really want the hybrid, I have the one I tried - it spent just under a month in my Mac - and will sell it at 35% below Amazon's or newegg's price - shipped in the U.S.

We do have a couple of members that like them and have bought more than 1 of them.
They're Macs were newer than mine - maybe the difference - ????

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro (2019) 3.3 ghz 12-Core 96GB mem Vega Pro II
I have the Seagate Momentus Hybrid drive in my MacbookPro. Works fine as my storage drive, but it is nowhere near the performance of an SSD. That said - why is an SSD so important to you? Are you really doing anything that requires a 20 sec boot or lightning fast drive access? If money is no object, the SSD is worth it, but probably isn't essential for your use of the computer.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.