MacBook Pro and USB 3.0

Reaction score
I really would like to replace my old Macbook Pro with a new one. But I have been waiting because of the lack of support for USB 3.0. I just hate to buy a computer that is already somewhat outdated. My real question is this: I see now that devices, such as hard drives, require USB 2.0, in 2 to 3 years do you believe that devices will require USB 3.0 making all the ports on my Macbook Pro useless? If USB 3.0 devices will always work with USB 2.0 that would be great but I have yet to here this. I can deal with the slower speeds, I just need it to work. Thanks for the help.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Apple has chosen Thunderbolt over USB 3.0. I doubt you will see Mac models with USB 3.0 ports any time soon, if ever. And yes, USB 3.0 devices are backward compatible with USB 2.0. They'll just run slower.

OP
W
Reaction score
I understand the slower speeds, I just had not heard for sure if all USB 3.0 devices will always be able to work with the USB 2.0 ports of the MBP.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
"Always" is a long time. No one can tell you if a USB 3.0 device manufactured in the future will be backward compatible. However, if the USB standard is followed, it should be.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
By USB spec, backwards compatibility is required. Now, whether all vendors MEET the spec.. that's a great question

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
I won't be surprised to see USB 3.0 eventually on Macs - I think it's complimentary to Thunderbolt - but till then - you'll have to use an adapter if you want those kinds of speeds. Right now there is a Thunderbolt to ExpressCard adapter - then pick the highspeed interface of your choice - but I expect there will be some Thunderbolt to USB hubs or some other sort of adapters eventually.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
There already are Thunderbolt > USB 2.0 hubs.. if you want a cinema display ;) I wouldn't be surprised if future releases of that include usb 3.0.. at which point, I'll buy one.

OP
W
Reaction score
Well today if you go out and buy an external hard drive they all say they just support USB 2.0. That is where my worry comes from.

I am pretty sure the next revision of the MBP will have USB 3.0 because intel is supporting with there chips.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook 2.2GHz C2D, 4GB Ram - iMac G4 700MHz, 512MB Ram
Well today if you go out and buy an external hard drive they all say they just support USB 2.0. That is where my worry comes from.

I am pretty sure the next revision of the MBP will have USB 3.0 because intel is supporting with there chips.

Just because something says "USB 2.0" or "USB 3.0" (in the future) doesn't really mean that's all it will work with. I've used numerous devices that say "USB 2.0" on my older machines with only USB 1.1, and they work fine. Granted, they run slower, but they aren't rendered useless or totally obsolete.

OP
W
Reaction score
Just because something says "USB 2.0" or "USB 3.0" (in the future) doesn't really mean that's all it will work with. I've used numerous devices that say "USB 2.0" on my older machines with only USB 1.1, and they work fine. Granted, they run slower, but they aren't rendered useless or totally obsolete.

Really? Well that is really good news! I might get me a new mac in the next couple of weeks then. Thanks so much for the help.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.