No video output form ATI Radeon 5770 graphics card

Reaction score
Hi all, new to the forum here but I've been a longtime mac user for a while.

I have a Mac Pro 1,1 tower. Recently the stock video card blew it's capacitors so I got an ATI Radeon 5770 off of eBay. I verified on a number of forums and through testimonials that the 5770 would in fact work so after receiving it and buying the 6-pin power cable to connect into the logic board I thought I would be up in running...

I'm getting no video signal sent out to either of my working monitors. Both DVI outputs don't seem to be working. The fan is spinning on the graph card so it appears to be getting power properly.

By going into screen sharing mode from my laptop, I can see my System Profiler on my MacPro. Under "Graphics/Displays" it says:
Display Type: GPU
Bus: PCIe
Slot: Slot-1
PCIe Lane Width: x16
Vendor: ATI (0x1002)
Device ID: 0x68b8
Revision ID: 0x0000

So it appears that my mac is seeing the card, but I'm not sure if it's recognizing it... or if I need a driver update.... or what?? Also, I'm running OSX 10.6.6 on the Mac Pro.

Any help is MUCH appreciated. Thanks.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Hi all, new to the forum here but I've been a longtime mac user for a while.

I have a Mac Pro 1,1 tower. Recently the stock video card blew it's capacitors so I got an ATI Radeon 5770 off of eBay. I verified on a number of forums and through testimonials that the 5770 would in fact work so after receiving it and buying the 6-pin power cable to connect into the logic board I thought I would be up in running...

I'm getting no video signal sent out to either of my working monitors. Both DVI outputs don't seem to be working. The fan is spinning on the graph card so it appears to be getting power properly.

Is this a genuine Macintosh video card...or a Windows video card that was "flashed" to work with a Mac?

- Nick

OP
P
Reaction score
Is this a genuine Macintosh video card...or a Windows video card that was "flashed" to work with a Mac?

- Nick

Excellent question. It doesn't specify form the listing and only after the fact did I start to wonder. Is there any way I can check to see if it was flashed for a PC? Also, is it easy/possible to unflash it?? Or is the problem possibly a PCI Card slot problem?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
If it has in fact been flashed? It should appear in System Profiler, About this Mac > More Information > Graphics > ROM Version and it should read something like 113-B7710C - 176 with EFI Driver Version 01.00.318.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If it has in fact been flashed? It should appear in System Profiler, About this Mac > More Information > Graphics > ROM Version and it should read something like 113-B7710C - 176 with EFI Driver Version 01.00.318.

Good one Harry!:)

- Nick

OP
P
Reaction score

I don't see any of that info in the System Profiler... just the info I posted above. Any other ideas? All of my drivers and software should be totally up to date and compatible with the 5770

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Excellent question. It doesn't specify form the listing and only after the fact did I start to wonder. Is there any way I can check to see if it was flashed for a PC? Also, is it easy/possible to unflash it?? Or is the problem possibly a PCI Card slot problem?

If you have a link to the e-Bay auction you bought it from...I can take a look at it for you to see how it's written. Usually most "honest" e-Bay sellers will mention if it is a "genuine" Macintosh 5770 card...or if it's a "flashed" Windows card.

These 5770 cards sell for $249 brand new from the Apple Store...so if you paid substantially less than this...it's probably a flashed Windows card. Since even used...Macintosh video cards hold their value. I think that used genuine Macintosh 5770's are selling used (on e-Bay) for about $200-$225. So again...if you paid a lot less than this...it's probably a flashed Windows card.

- Nick

OP
P
Reaction score
If you have a link to the e-Bay auction you bought it from...I can take a look at it for you to see how it's written. Usually most "honest" e-Bay sellers will mention if it is a "genuine" Macintosh 5770 card...or if it's a "flashed" Windows card.

These 5770 cards sell for $249 brand new from the Apple Store...so if you paid substantially less than this...it's probably a flashed Windows card. Since even used...Macintosh video cards hold their value. I think that used genuine Macintosh 5770's are selling used (on e-Bay) for about $200-$225. So again...if you paid a lot less than this...it's probably a flashed Windows card.

- Nick

Yeah, it was less, about $90. Here's the link:
eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices

So if it is flashed for PC, is there any way of flashing it for Mac??

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yeah, it was less, about $90. Here's the link:
eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices

So if it is flashed for PC, is there any way of flashing it for Mac??

Ha ha...yes...at $90 bucks...it's definitely a Windows card.

It appears that we may be talking about slightly different things here. What I mentioned earlier (a Windows 5770 flashed for use in a Macintosh)...I thought that you actually purchased a Windows 5770 that was "flashed" to be used in a Macintosh.

But looking at the e-Bay auction...you actually bought a Windows 5770 card...that was never flashed for use in a Macintosh. So this is the totally wrong card (it was never meant to be used in a Macintosh).

As far as flashing the card to work in a Macintosh. I personally have never done it (but I'm sure I could figure it out). I'm pretty sure it's not legal to do it...so it would be an inappropriate discussion on Mac-Forums.

If you're lucky...maybe the e-Bay seller will allow you to return it.

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.