Imac Front row.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PB 15" 1.33ghz 512mb 80gb iPod 5G White
Do you guys think that front row will come out being able install on ibooks, powerbooks etc and just use the mouse or a remote used for powerpoints or some sort?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
Maybe in future models but current models will not be capable. The FrontRow remote uses and IR receiver built into the iMac behind the apple logo on the front.

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PB 15" 1.33ghz 512mb 80gb iPod 5G White
but i mean do you think someone will find a way or something to install it and then you could just use your mouse or keyboard to navigate.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Doubtful. FrontRow requires the Remote to be functional

T

ThomasD

austing said:
Do you guys think that front row will come out being able install on ibooks, powerbooks etc and just use the mouse or a remote used for powerpoints or some sort?

It seems that it would be easy for Apple to make Front Row and the Remote available to current iMac, Mac mini, etc, users. One could design a small dock-like device which doubles as an IR receiver and a charger for the remote's battery which connects to an existing iMac or Mac mini through USB. The only catch is you'd want to locate it somewhere in the vicinity of your monitor.

The question is whether or not Apple has any interest in doing this. Perhaps if they don't, someone else will.

One thing I wondered about also is why Apple didn't use Bluetooth for the remote - it would seem like it might make sense as its less directional than IR, and Bluetooth is built in to the iMac and some Mac minis already.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook C2D 2.4 2GB
I supose IR technology is cheaper and uses less power. I think starting this only with the iMacs is a good way to start, i would like to see something like this but with a Mac mini, as i understand many people uses minis as media centers and this could be a great extra feature. I would even like to see FrontRow in my iBook!

A

Aarow

Oh gosh. I'm excited about frontrow already. Maybe my family's next computer will be an imac? :headphone

But if they do come out w/ frontrow add-ons, it the device better use firewire, I need to use that port for something!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aarow said:
Oh gosh. I'm excited about frontrow already. Maybe my family's next computer will be an imac? :headphone

But if they do come out w/ frontrow add-ons, it the device better use firewire, I need to use that port for something!

Definitely won't happen. If they do make an add on they would use USB because there are more USB ports than firewire ports, and FireWire has way to much throughput for there to be an advantage of using it

B

Bmw M Power05

i have the base 1.5ghz 15inch G4 PowerBook and i got it to work. Esc functions as the back button and the up,down,left,right does just that. also the return is enter. so theres your six buttons on the remote. ill try and post pics. for those who are wondering i got it off [name removed].

[link removed]

C

chris12345

i also have it working on my 20inch imac it's not all that good its not going to make me run out and buy the new imac just for that

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook 1.33 Ghz, 768 RAM
Front Row is as cool as anything !!!!!

Paul

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook Intel 2GHZ CD, 2GB RAM
How do I download Front Row? I went to the website and downloaded the torrent but I dont know what to do with it.

F

Fallooza

dmachine said:
How do I download Front Row? I went to the website and downloaded the torrent but I dont know what to do with it.

open "readme" and follow the directions

B

Bmw M Power05

you need to download a bit torrent app. i use azureus. just search for it on google

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I downloaded azureus and then I opened the file and I have Front Row working perfectly on my PB. I am downloading sailing clicker right now to see if I can use my phone as a remote.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I got sailing clicker and it works if I go into each application on my Treo 650 but I would like to be able to use it from just one application to switch between Front Row apps. Does anyone know how to do this?

B

badmojo

I successfully installed FR on my 8 month-old iMac G5 and it runs awesome. Not having a remote is kind of a buzkill but the full effect of the app works terrific. Here's a link to Macupdate's instructions. READ THESE CAREFULLY or it won't work.

http://macupdate.com/info.php/id/19947

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.